• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fairness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    No one should pay tax in the spirit of the law. How would you like it if a judge found against you "in the spirit of the law"?
    I'd be ok with that but in my view tax law is pretty clear, it's just there are people who have enough money to hire very expensive QCs who will argue with straight face that black is actually white.

I am all for lower taxes, but everybody should pay them - any smart arse who thinks they can get away with near 0 tax should be made an example for future generations.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I'm surprised an enlightened rational thinker like yourself has any truck with biblical "sins of the father" superstition.

Perhaps you're suggesting Mr. Cameron should bring in retrospective laws for anyone who used a tax-dodging scheme in the past.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Perhaps you're suggesting Mr. Cameron should bring in retrospective laws for anyone who used a tax-dodging scheme in the past.
        No i'm suggesting he should stfu and do something useful about it. At the moment he sounds like a spoilt kid who's not allowed to have chocolate for his tea.

Obviously he wont because the foundations of his party rest upon allowing the wealthy to dodge tax and screwing the rest of us.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Obviously he wont because the foundations of his party rest upon allowing the wealthy to dodge tax and screwing the rest of us.
          He won't because he is incompetent.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I'd be ok with that but in my view tax law is pretty clear, it's just there are people who have enough money to hire very expensive QCs who will argue with straight face that black is actually white.

I am all for lower taxes, but everybody should pay them - any smart arse who thinks they can get away with near 0 tax should be made an example for future generations.

Tax law is anything but clear otherwise this debate would not be happening.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

No i'm suggesting he should stfu and do something useful about it. At the moment he sounds like a spoilt kid who's not allowed to have chocolate for his tea.

I agree with you. As soon as Cameron brought morality into this debate he is exposing any arrangements he or his family have to charges of hypocrisy.

he is in good company:

Margaret Hodge's family company pays just 0.01pc tax on £2.1bn of business generated in the UK - Telegraph
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Tax law is anything but clear otherwise this debate would not be happening.
                That is true.

Comment

Did Starbucks pay any UK tax?

because surely

<pedant/>

To pay "additional tax" you have to have paid some previously to add it to?

</pedant>
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    He is right you know - the law should change and perhaps it should make it illegal to provide any tax avoidance services.

I find it amusing how people say that Directors' job is to minimise tax, BS - Directors' job is to run legitimate company and make profits whilst obeying the law - taxes is big part of this.
                    That is true - the problem is there are too many ways for directors etc to get 'expert advice' which they can follow knowing it is dodgy but they have covered their asses.

And that is the problem - people know it is wrong but legally they have found a loop hole....

or to give a for instance - if you go shopping to Morissons and use their self service checkouts and notice that half the items scan at zero price - are you shoplifting?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      or to give a for instance - if you go shopping to Morissons and use their self service checkouts and notice that half the items scan at zero price - are you shoplifting?
                      Maybe not shoplifting but those items can be clawed back by the shop - most T&Cs online also have same provisions.

I certainly won't rush "checking out" zero priced items at supermarket if I see them.

Comment

Working...
                      X