• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yay - Africa it is.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes because that's what I did/that's what happened to me
    Hello <<knocking on EUK's dense cranium>> - I'm here posting.
    Like thousands of others every year I went and had a great holiday.
    You stick to Butlins. Face it it's all you can afford.
    Stupidity on your scale is truly epic.
    So when were you last a working contractor? Just in case you missed the question in the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      The people who live there are desperate to get out (bit like the UK really) so why on earth would someone want to go there, and on holiday no less. lol.

3rd world slum YAY! lol

You have no idea and obviously haven't been there.

Africa is like that bitch you hate but you keep going back for more. (I'm sure that's a variation on a famous quote from an ex-colonial Brit but the US-centric search engines aren't coming up with it.)
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

So when were you last a working contractor? Just in case you missed the question in the other thread.
        I've posted
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          At a national level
          THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: The United Kingdom is politically stable and has a modern infrastructure, but shares with the rest of the world an increased threat of terrorist incidents of international origin, as well as the potential for isolated violence related to the political situation in Northern Ireland.

Like the United States, the United Kingdom shares its national threat levels with the general public to keep everyone informed and explain the context for the various increased security measures that may be encountered. The UK Home Office posts UK threat levels on its website.

The UK Security Service, commonly known as MI5, publishes through its website specific reasons for any changes in the threat level and recommended actions for the public.
          U.S. citizens should check with the UK Department for Transport for the latest security updates and carry-on luggage restrictions.
          In the past several years, extremists have targeted and attacked public transportation infrastructure in European cities such as London, Madrid, Glasgow, and Moscow, demonstrating that terrorists continue to take an active interest in targeting this sector. The British Home Secretary has urged UK citizens to be alert and vigilant. For example, travelers are encouraged to keep an eye out for suspect packages or people acting suspiciously on buses, on the subway (called the Tube or Underground), at train stations, and at airports, and to report anything suspicious to the appropriate authorities. U.S. citizens should remain vigilant with regard to their personal security and to exercise caution. As has been widely reported in the press, UK law enforcement authorities have taken action to guard against a terrorist attack, underscoring in their public statements that the police are using a range of tactics to mitigate the threat. For more information about UK public safety initiatives, consult the UK Civil Contingencies Secretariat website.
          As far as I am concerned that largely invalidates the advice on the other countries.

Comment

Went to Kenya in 2008 2006 IIRC and had a great holiday. We did similar to Sas (Tsavo and Diani for a bit of R+R/diving)

I personally wouldn't do an independent drive across country (but that's just me) YMMV.

People are incredibly friendly and the scenery is stunning.

Oh and buy a bigger lens for your camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              You have no idea and obviously haven't been there.
              Of course not, there are places I would never ever consider going. Africa, Pakistan, India, Bradford etc

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                My sister was born in Zambia so you should go there (the roads are still tulip apparently). Botswana is supposed to be nice, the bits of SA I saw were lovely.
                Go to Victoria Falls (Zambian side, obv.) and the Kariba dam (awesome - we used to go for picnics)
                Lots of potentially dangerous creatures, but don't worry about it. I wouldn't recommend a dip in the rivers though. Look out for ants - amazing.
                Decent footwear is your friend.
                Driving in Africa is a bit like walking around Paris.

In Paris you never take your eyes off the pavements because there's so much dog poo on them.

In Africa you never take your eyes off the road surface because there are so many potholes and missing drain covers. You need to be aware that both the oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you are likely to swerve without notice to avoid potholes.

It becomes automatic with practice.

Comment

Of course not, there are places I would never ever consider going. Africa, Pakistan, India, Bradford etc
                  Shouldn't you change your moniker to StayinmylittleplaceintheUKbecausetooscaredtoleave. ?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    Went to Kenya in 2008 2006 IIRC and had a great holiday. We did similar to Sas (Tsavo and Diani for a bit of R+R/diving)

I personally wouldn't do an independent drive across country (but that's just me) YMMV.

People are incredibly friendly and the scenery is stunning.

Oh and buy a bigger lens for your camera.
                    Take a spare camera too.

My brand shiny new Canon SLR developed a fault and underexposed all the wildlife shots I took.

When I got home I got a replacement camera body without question.

But it made me realise why the guarantee excluded the cost of replacing lost photos.

Comment

Thats good then - I wont bump into a ignorant, naive, biggoted, narrow minded, ignorant, hard of thinking, ignorant, etc, etc...

Did I say ignorant BTW?
                      Beer
                      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X