• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The trouble with Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    from Interior Ministry of Germany' website

and so by that I would assume that if the UK left the EU then they would no longer be allowed dual nationality and therefore have to give up their British citizenship to become a German one.. oh dear
    There are about 155,000 thousand Britons living in Germany not including forces personnel, and nearly 300,000 Germans living in Britain. I think most of those people are employed and contributing to society in either country; it could be of some inconvenience to all concerned if this led to them all having to go home. Add to that about half a million Britons in Spain, 50 or 60 thousand in NL, and we haven't even started on France and Italy where lots of Britons live, and lots of their citizens do productive work in the UK. I think the total number of Britons in other EU countries is approaching one and a half million. I think Mr Cameron et al will have to consider this in their negotiations as otherwise there could be even larger migration flows than now.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

There are millions of Germans in the UK:

The English are basically Germans, geneticists at London university have discovered.
      “There is no use in denying it,” Der Spiegel, the German news magazine, wrote this week. “It is now clear the nation which most dislikes the Germans were once Krauts themselves.”
      University College London academics studied a segment of the Y chromosome that appears in almost all Danish and north German men. They found that half of British men also have the segment.
      Researchers following up the UCL study claim that Anglo-Saxons swiftly took over Britain and changed the genetic make-up of its inhabitants.
      Heinrich Härke, an archaeologist at the University of Reading, said that “up to 200,000 emigrants” came to south east England in the fifth and sixth centuries. In a study of a Saxon cemetery near Oxford, he found that a quarter of its artefacts matched those discovered along the Elbe.
      Whoops...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        So the English are descended from the Germans who decided to leave? That explains a lot.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X