• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    After my car failed miserably in the snow today I want to think about a new car, ideally 4x4 but I also don't want a SUV type vehicle, which basically leaves me the A6 Allroad or the fugly cross over types like the Volvo XC range, are there any other alternatives?
    Lots of Audis are 4x4.

TT
    A3
    A4
    A5
    A6
    A7
    A8

Saloons, coupe, estate.

Then there's a whole load of Subarus too.

Comment

After my car failed miserably in the snow today I want to think about a new car, ideally 4x4 but I also don't want a SUV type vehicle, which basically leaves me the A6 Allroad or the fugly cross over types like the Volvo XC range, are there any other alternatives?
      I used to have an old Land Rover as well as my normal motor.

It was great for recreational use or carting stuff around for the rest of the year too.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Fiat Panda 4x4

Seriously. It's very popular in the Tirol, where people know what works and what doesn't work in snow. Someone mentioned a Skoda Yeti; that's a good idea too.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Winter tyres? Remember that 4WD cars steer and brake just like 2WD cars.

Anyways, as DP has pointed out pretty much any Audi or Subaru saloon or estate is available with 4WD.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 dCi N-tec+ 4WD
            55.4mpg/135g/km
            The Nissan Qashqai makes a brilliant family car because it's roomy, comfortable, refined and affordable to run. The king-of-the-road driving position is another plus, and this diesel engine is the best in the range
            Got rid of the 1.6 petrol variant of this last year (went off lease) - not sure how the diesel compares but I found it over geared & it really needed a sixth gear for motorway cruising

Used to get 50mpg if held to around 60mph on A roads but on motorways would drop to high 30's - I suspect this was due to the non aerodynamic front end and gearing
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Winter tyres? Remember that 4WD cars steer and brake just like 2WD cars.

Anyways, as DP has pointed out pretty much any Audi or Subaru saloon or estate is available with 4WD.
              I notice Merc now do a 4Matic thing, was looking at an E-Class as it is, so this might be an option
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I notice Merc now do a 4Matic thing, was looking at an E-Class as it is, so this might be an option
                I suspect it will be crap. Mercs aren't what they used to be.

Comment

Buy some winter tyres instead for your current car, you will be amazed at improvement it will give.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    I suspect it will be crap. Mercs aren't what they used to be.
                    Very happy with my Merc 220 coupe thank you - stonking mpg too
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Nothing beats my Austin 1800 for snow traction (when it starts). highly recommended
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X