• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outrageous increase in price of a lottery ticket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    At the very least there should be capital gains tax - those who win millions should be able to afford to pay tax on it, it's only fair.
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The bankers who earn millions pay no tax so why should lottery winners?
    The government already takes 12% of ALL lottery sales in tax which is higher than taking 18% of the 50% that is paid out in prize money
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      The government already takes 12% of ALL lottery sales in tax which is higher than taking 18% of the 50% that is paid out in prize money
      It's the principle that matter - low or zero tax should only be used for activities that Govt should encourage (say long term investment), winning money by chance isn't something that should be encouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        It's the principle that matter - low or zero tax should only be used for activities that Govt should encourage (say long term investment), winning money by chance isn't something that should be encouraged.
        Winning the lottery gets the public doing what the government is failing in trying to achieve, getting people to spend money which is good for the economy
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Winning the lottery gets the public doing what the government is failing in trying to achieve, getting people to spend money which is good for the economy
          Exactly! Lets give a million pounds to everyone and see if that will get the economy going.

They have already give that much to each of the bankers and all they do is move it offshore. We need people who will spread it around.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            On 31st October the price of a lottery ticket will be £1. On 1st November it will be £2. How can they justify this?

So on 2nd November it will be £4 and 3rd November it will be £8. By 30th November it will be £1,073,741,824 - so only assguru will be able to afford to buy a ticket.

This is a disgrace.
            Look on the bright side BP if you go and buy all your tickets for the next month you could have a 50% discount on the new price.

Personally I only have a flutter when the pot is immense, like when EuroMillions was £161M the other year.

Anything less than a £100M jackpot and I'm not interested.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

If Govt wanted people to spend it would just take less tax in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I think this is the push I need to stop playing.
                Mine was mathematics which is why I never played!
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  Mine was mathematics which is why I never played!
                  Have you never heard of the law of stupidity in large numbers?

Comment

I don't think it's a tax on stupidity at all. For less than the price of half a pint or renting a tulip movie you get to spend all week dreaming of how you'd spend it. It's the best value escapism on the market.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      I know - outrageous! a 100% hike in the stupidity tax!! What will the Wail say!!!.
                      The Express has gone all about it.

Coincidentally, the owner of the Express also owns a not-very-successful competitor to the National Lottery.

Comment

Working...
                      X