• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you want miniskirts and low cut tops banned from the office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my point made rather eloquently by the results of the poll is that whilst women can look pleasant in revealing 'professional' clothes most men will secretly pondering getting into their knickers so they probably won't be taken seriously.

YMMV
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Eloquent, but I do disagree, you seem to have a touch of repression. Men wore suits to the office way before women were allowed out of the house and one suspects that women to be taken seriously emulated the men's dress and came up with the drab and unflattering thing called a business suit. Women should be allowed to dress how they see fit and the fact you're uncomfortable with it is your problem. The Burka is the same principle albeit taken to an extreme.
      I don't know what sort of companies you work in. Have you ever attended a black tie event? Do you go to bars that state no sportswear? To me when I attend an office I expect to be dressed smart. I don't have a choice. Business protocol states that I own a decent suit and I look ready for business. Why does a woman get the right to chose or make bad choices freely?

I have worked in investment banks, Insurance, New Media and Government in my time. My sister-in-law is a finance director in a major media company and a friend is one of the only female CIO's that I know. I don't see either of them hanging the boobs out. Yet they have teams of men that respect them and work _FOR_ them.

However most of the girls that I have met that hang their bits out in offices with inappropriate clothing get the piss ripped out of them as soon as they leave the room. Most of the haranguing comes from other women that know how to dress properly. Is that wrong? is it their fault? Was that the image that they thought that they had when they got dressed?

I guess it comes down to a wider issue of female self image, and what they think they are saying with their choices.

Comment

I wear a 3 piece suit with shirt and tie to work everyday - no one else does. I also have hair which reaches most of the way down my back, no other guy in the office does. To be honest I have never really worried what others in the office might think about what I am wearing.

I think that my suit is smart and looks professional, if a women has a fetish for 3 piece Ted Baker suits then she might consider me distracting. I would view that as her problem - presumably it would be the same if I found what some woman's clothing made her too attractive for me to concentrate?

Although I am kind of stuck wearing these suits to work as my aspergic daughter thinks that unless I am wearing a suit I am not going to work and she wants to come with me.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          I have worked in investment banks, Insurance, New Media and Government in my time. My sister-in-law is a finance director in a major media company and a friend is one of the only female CIO's that I know. I don't see either of them hanging the boobs out. Yet they have teams of men that respect them and work _FOR_ them.
          WooW, sorry I just write/test jet engine software, I don't need a fancy suit as I don't work in places which rob and lie.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

However most of the girls that I have met that hang their bits out in offices with inappropriate clothing get the piss ripped out of them as soon as they leave the room.
            Most of the haranguing comes from other women that know how to dress properly. Is that wrong? is it their fault? Was that the image that they thought that they had when they got dressed?
            That's the reality of life. You pitch it wrong, you get torn to shreds. Live and learn (although some never will). Yes there are consequences to dressing poorly/unprofessionally. I don't think that's something that a corporate policy needs to or should address though, that's for each woman (and man) to figure out for themselves.

Comment

WooW, sorry I just write/test jet engine software, I don't need a fancy suit as I don't work in places which rob and lie.
              I was going to point that out, too.

I'm in software development for a reason. Less nylon, not as smelly.

Comment

So I doubt you have ever seen a woman in your office

In all seriousness: Offices are not places of freedom. HR does not enjoy having to argue the toss about who said what to whom, or who was gawping at whose tits. Its not what workers are in an office for. I have a 3 page HR personnel and policies document in my inbox telling me how its not fair to upset people because they are gay or black (Although Its fine to call someone a stupid fat moo...). I am supposed to sign it and return it before I go on site...

Offices have had the fun taken out of them many years ago.

Telling those who don't know any better to dress properly is just a sad progress.

Comment

Did it include the spiel on impact vs intent, that one rattles my cage immensely
                  Last edited by The Spartan; 15 January 2013, 15:48. Reason: spelling
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

So I doubt you have ever seen a woman in your office
                    See stereotyping again, there are plenty of women in my office they just haven't completed the physical side of the sex change yet!
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

See stereotyping again, there are plenty of women in my office they just haven't completed the physical side of the sex change yet!

Think I might have been to your office you have my sympathy

Comment

Working...
                      X