• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family members taking the piss with money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    I've lost count of the amount of times i've paid for the 1st round then everyone buys their own for the 2nd. Not just family, friends too (when they bloody come out!!)
    Id stop doing that then.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      PM me. I can give you the details of someone who can give him a good kicking for £50. It's the principle.
      Your Plan B MF?
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

In a way Im glad i dont know anyone who would do that, it would either cost me shed loads of money and or id be up for conspiracy to commit bodily harm.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          Every time I am forced to see family they try to find new ways of asking me how much I earn to which I use the same old responses either "enough" or "not a lot"
          LOL. Yep same with me. It seems he who in the family is most flush is deemed to be the one who has to pay for things etc.

So we don't tell them. Also, because I'll get the comment about being 'lucky' which winds me up no end.

We've got a cleaner. Kept that one quiet. Until family member turned up one day to feed the cats while we were on holiday when the cleaner was there.

Didn't hear the end of that one. You'd have thought the family had unearthed the fact that we're were multi-millionaires or something. Pissed me off no end.

My old man is the same mind. Hes getting on a bit now but still thinks £200 a week is a proper wage. seriously. I dread to think. And he can never understand how people can pay good money for someone sitting in an office. hmmm.....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            Every time I am forced to see family they try to find new ways of asking me how much I earn to which I use the same old responses either "enough" or "not a lot"
            I tell them precisely what I earn. I used to delight in telling them how much we earned when my wife was contracting.

Just say no. It's what I do. My wife used to have a friend whose husband expected me to buy the drinks all night, when we all went out, due to what we earned. We no longer communicate.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Hope your not suggesting yourself? :-)

I've got this mental image of what you look like....
              Have always imagined MF would look like Bernard Manning's cum face.....
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                I tell them precisely what I earn. I used to delight in telling them how much we earned when my wife was contracting.

Just say no. It's what I do. My wife used to have a friend whose husband expected me to buy the drinks all night, when we all went out, due to what we earned. We no longer communicate.
                **** that. No way. If I did that they'd expect me to pay for everything all the time.
                I do pay for things sometimes but only if someone offers their share first. If someone expects me to pay then they can **** off, if they offer then I'm happy to say no.

Might be childish but I don't care! Same as your situation. Bollacks to that too. Agree with you.

True what they say mind. In this country, if someone is successful you can guarantee that others will be jealous and/or consider them lucky. And they'll want something out of it.
                Last edited by psychocandy; 9 January 2013, 12:23.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I suffer a sponger as a brother in law - he is also quite amusing and it always amusing to listen to his stories, he wears 8 stone of armour when he fights (erm ... no you don't), he was a member of my local choir (he went with me to one rehersal), he had a pulse rate in the low 40s (hmmm ... I doubt it), he used to train several times a week and bike miles to and from work (I knew him then and ran the training sessions that he was not at), he used to box (he went to two training sessions) and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

He, his girlfriend, my mother and his parents went out for a meal when my mother visited (she no longer works but always had a part time job whilst raising me since my father died when I was 10) and my BiL and his GF spent most of the meal boasting about how many thousands they have in the bank (given by her grandfather, not earned by either of them) which they are going to spend on their honey moon etc. When the bill came my mother offered to pay her share but my father in law refused and insisted it was his treat. They negotiated and my mother paid the tip - after boasting the entire time about how much money they had they were suddenly silent when the bill appeared.

I used to like it when he came training because I could hit him really hard without getting grief from the wife (I even concussed him through his helmet once).

He insists that he wants a job which pays the same as mine but does not want to do the several years of groundwork - always makes for a lively discussion when he tries to tell me how 'lucky' I am.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    **** that. No way. If I did that they'd expect me to pay for everything all the time.
                    I do pay for things sometimes but only if someone offers their share first. If someone expects me to pay then they can **** off, if they offer then I'm happy to say no.

Might be childish but I don't care! Same as your situation. Bollacks to that too. Agree with you.

True what they say mind. In this country, if someone is successful you can guarantee that others will be jealous and/or consider them lucky. And they'll want something out of it.
                    They expect me to pay all the time, I just don't.

I have one brother who through a combination of luck and hard work, is self made (he bought a plot of land to build a house on, which Sainsbury's took their fancy to, and after long negotiations, made an absolute mint (7 numbers) out of it all. He still, for some reason, expects me to pay for tulip when we all meet up. We had a family meal for Mum and Dad, in which 20 people turned up, direct family. I was on my own, him with wife and 3 kids, and somehow, he tried to expain how I should pay half. He was told to foxtrot too.

Fook them psychocandy. I've worked feckin hard to get where I am, and the people who should benefit from that are my wife and kids, not someone elses.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                      Your Plan B MF?
                      Its his plan A. The flying to states stuff is just a cover story.

Comment

Working...
                      X