• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As a contractor do you sometimes lose perspective when it comes to money?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Though it depends on where you live, £350/day is pretty good if you're not in any major city. After 8 years of contracting at that rate, you should have been able to pay off a substantial chunk of your mortgage, depending of course on how lavish your lifestyle is and how expensive your home is. And have savings, whether personal or in your Ltd.
    Well, I haven't paid off any chunk from my mortgage (apart from the normal monthly payments) & I only have a reasonable warchest in the company.
    One of my biggest problems is that I've had to stay away from home for nearly every contract which eats huge chunks into the daily rate. However, we certainly don't have a lavish lifestyle.

I'm amazed that people say they can save around a grand a month on similar rates as me as well as leaving money in the company for their warchest.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
      Well, I haven't paid off any chunk from my mortgage (apart from the normal monthly payments) & I only have a reasonable warchest in the company.
      One of my biggest problems is that I've had to stay away from home for nearly every contract which eats huge chunks into the daily rate. However, we certainly don't have a lavish lifestyle.

I'm amazed that people say they can save around a grand a month on similar rates as me as well as leaving money in the company for their warchest.
      I've managed to save £2k per month for the last 15 years when contracting. That in turn invested returns interest. Now operating at £4k per month. But then again I'm a tight bastard.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I've managed to save £2k per month for the last 15 years when contracting. That in turn invested returns interest. Now operating at £4k per month. But then again I'm a tight bastard.
        £360K? FFS. Can I ask if that's in the business or have you taken that out to invest elsewhere?

I'm certainly doing something wrong then

Comment

£360K? FFS. Can I ask if that's in the business or have you taken that out to invest elsewhere?

I'm certainly doing something wrong then
          When talking to MF its helpful to remember he usually talks out of his arse
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

As a contractor do you sometimes lose perspective when it comes to money?!

And everyone lies in General..

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              The point is you've saving it to spend when you need it... so using it to buy a mortgage-free property or something is not wrong.
              Unless you then find yourself with no contract and no readily-available cash because its tied up in a house?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Just read through this thread & I'm worried what the hell I'm doing wrong.

I've been contracting for over 8 years with a consistent 10 months+ work per annum at rates of around £350/day & I'm nowhere near as well off as 99% of the posters on this thread.

Do you all pay yourself way over the £44k(ish) threshold because anything underneath that then you can't have a mortgage/kids/bills etc and still have thousands left over each month to spend on what you want
                Mrs work? Split dividends so potentially can both earn up to £44K?

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                  I am in the same boat, although this is only my second year. I have managed to pay off the credit cards and overdraft and have given my wife money to pay off hers. However, I have never seen this situation that everyone quotes where they have 6 months + of money sitting untouched in the bank. At the moment our burn rate is about 2k a month on mortgage, food and bills. I reckon we have about 5 months worth of money without touching credit cards etc but ever that is by the skin of our teeth.

It makes me wonder what on earth I am doing wrong!!!!
                  Been back contracting 2 years come May. Same as you need about £3K per month. Mrs works but only gets £900/month so need another £2K.

In that time, started with credit card debts of approaching £25K. Now down to £5K or so (on low balance transfer so no rush). Also, spent £6K on garage conversion, had a holiday to florida for £5K. Currently got about 9 months money saved up (i.e. £18K)

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    So that in itself will be a lie?!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      No they don't
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X