• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    That's the permie mindset for you.
    Maybe he should ask his potential client to give him a relocation allowance and pick up his pension contributions?

Unixman, you said you were prepared to travel up to 1.5 hours but aren't prepared to go to London, which is where all the contracts (and the decent money) are and is only 40 minutes away. Is there any reason for this or have you been paying too much attention to articles in the Daily Mail about how the streets of London are littered with stabbed bodies and crackheads?
    Last edited by Captain Jack; 28 June 2006, 14:37.

Comment

unixman: can you do korn scripting, 'cause they're looking for some HP/UX guys on Jutland.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        unixman: can you do korn scripting, 'cause they're looking for some HP/UX guys on Jutland.
        I can do that - gissa job!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
          When I stated contracting I left a good permie job, I was very apprehensive and friends and colleagues were saying it was the wrong thing to do. Once I had left , the first day resulted in a choice of contracts. By the end of the first week I was being pestered to jump ship. The right offer came along and I jumped ship and went contracting in Holland for some years still using my limited company. When I came back to the UK, the phone didn't stop ringing and in between the airport and home I gained another contract in Europe. Now times have changed, It is a hard slog for each contract. "Four times a day on Jobserve" is not enough.
          Come gather round Contractors
          And lets talk of the days
          When jobs where aplenty and rates were OK

Did you gather your rosebuds whilst you may ?
          For now ...
          The Times they are a-changing
          Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 June 2006, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack
            ... streets of London are littered with stabbed bodies and crackheads?
            Yes they are, but I find that wearing a good pair of sturdy brogues keeps most of the gunk away.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              Come gather round Contractors
              And lets talk of the days
              When jobs where aplenty and rates were OK
              And Did you gather your rosebuds whilst you may ?
              For now
              The Times they are a-changing
              Wise words as ever Alf.

Spoke to a client this morning who couldn't understand why his lunch was being eaten by competitors when "the product has sold well for so many years without any changes!".

The times are indeed changing for us software hacks.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working in Olde Londinium Towne

Originally posted by sasguru
                Yes they are, but I find that wearing a good pair of sturdy brogues keeps most of the gunk away.
                Have you seen the old man
                In the closed-down market
                Kicking up the paper,
                with his worn out shoes?
                In his eyes you see no pride
                And held loosely at his side
                Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news

So how can you tell me you're lonely,
                And say for you that the sun don't shine?
                Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
                I'll show you something to make you change your mind

Have you seen the old girl
                Who walks the streets of London
                Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags?
                She's no time for talking,
                She just keeps right on walking
                Carrying her home in two carrier bags.

In the all night cafe
                At a quarter past eleven,
                Same old man is sitting there on his own
                Looking at the world
                Over the rim of his tea-cup,
                Each tea last an hour
                Then he wanders home alone

And have you seen the old man
                Outside the seaman's mission
                Memory fading with
                The medal ribbons that he wears.
                In our winter city,
                The rain cries a little pity
                For one more forgotten hero
                And a world that doesn't care

Comment

Don't believe all this rubbish about London. Remember 'Tickle on the Tum' with Ralph McTell. That was a factual documentary based on London life. As soon as you arrive the friendly natives will burst into song and go out of their way to help you settle in.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    Don't believe all this rubbish about London. Remember 'Tickle on the Tum' with Ralph McTell. That was a factual documentary based on London life. As soon as you arrive the friendly natives will burst into song and go out of their way to help you settle in.
                    Oh yeah! - those Pearly Kings and Queens! Couldn't get away from them!
                    Last edited by bogeyman; 28 June 2006, 14:56. Reason: Fleetwood Patrol

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                      As soon as you arrive the friendly natives will burst into song and go out of their way to help you settle in.
                      That happens to me every morning when I arrive at Kings Cross.
                      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X