• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to retire to on a budget of less than $1,000 (£612) a month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I suspect it would be cheaper just to pay to heat a normal one, bit like these hybrids.
    West coast of Scotland and the South East of England are 2 different planets where weather is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      West coast of Scotland and the South East of England are 2 different planets where weather is concerned.
      Do they get any Gulf Stream at all in Western Scotland out of interest?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Just wish I could find that image of Fulton Mackay with an orange.

Local. Hero. Best. Film. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Yes. This makes the ubiquitous rain pleasantly warm to the touch.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I don't think the gulf stream makes the place warm, only a little less cold.

Comment

Where to retire to on a budget of less than $1,000 (£612) a month

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              I don't think the gulf stream makes the place warm, only a little less cold.
              Lived in Annan on Solway Firth for eight years, certainly warmer than Bolton!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Yes. This makes the ubiquitous rain pleasantly warm to the touch.

A bit like Cornwall then.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  At some point in the next 10 years the plan will be to move to a new build house that requires little or no energy input to sustain a comfortable heat level.

I'm in a 110 year old house that was designed to use coal for heat, then they fitted radiators for gas heating, probably got another 20 years of gas so it is a good time to get out.
                  This, completely and utterly.

We're currently quite low on energy use, but the house was not planned with that in mind from the getgo, so we're now looking at a small holding.

If, and it's a big if, climate change does mean the weather changes for the worse (colder winters), then I do not want to be reliant on foreign companies, like Russian gas companies, who can stop supply on a whim (Look at the Ukraine), and raise costs. Nor do I want to rely on French/Japanese companies building nuke stations. So we're looking at ground source geothermal devices, we already have 2 acres of willow, which regenerates, and we'll expand that, we'll get our own water bore hole dug from the aquifiers (not illegal just yet) and invest in more efficient solar/wind generators.

Also looking at plots with a watercourse, as with mroe rain, we'll get better flows, and cheaper power.

I think if you have a house paid for, and energy in check, if you're frugal, just like a drink everynow and again, then £200 is easily manageable

Comment

Working...
                  X