• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to retire to on a budget of less than $1,000 (£612) a month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's Uncle retired to Brazil, 2 hours from Rio, big house for 15K and had a plumber round to sort out the pool and all the waterworks on the property the fella was there a week cost him £35

Mind that was a couple of years back and its now an up and coming country so may be more expensive now and it's still on the list of most dangerous places to live

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      But the healthcare is free, which might be a consideration as you get older.

EDIT. Ok, given your post about your Auntie, healthcare probably isn't a consideration.
      Its not free, any more than roads or police or anything else here is free. And lets face it, you're more likely to be on the Liverpool care pathway in the future when there is less funds, slowly dieing of dehydration.

Id prefer a PAYG model with doctors running their own practises, at least then if they are crap they dont get paid unlike the current model.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        Great in the sense you'll probably die from it?
        Free mediocre healthcare is better than no healthcare at all.

And if you're not earning, it IS free. Paying your taxes for decades and then retiring somewhere else is hardly getting out of paying "your share".
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Free mediocre healthcare is better than no healthcare at all.

And if you're not earning, it IS free. Paying your taxes for decades and then retiring somewhere else is hardly getting out of paying "your share".
          Im a contractor, I dont pay my taxes.

Comment

I don't actually spend that much money,

As long as the house is paid off, a large lump sum is there whenever required and I get 200 quid per week from my pension I will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I don't actually spend that much money,

As long as the house is paid off, a large lump sum is there whenever required and I get 200 quid per week from my pension I will be happy.
              I think you are right. House with solar panels maybe

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                I think you are right. House with solar panels maybe
                At some point in the next 10 years the plan will be to move to a new build house that requires little or no energy input to sustain a comfortable heat level.

I'm in a 110 year old house that was designed to use coal for heat, then they fitted radiators for gas heating, probably got another 20 years of gas so it is a good time to get out.

Comment

At some point in the next 10 years the plan will be to move to a new build house that requires little or no energy input to sustain a comfortable heat level.

I'm in a 110 year old house that was designed to use coal for heat, then they fitted radiators for gas heating, probably got another 20 years of gas so it is a good time to get out.
                  Are these new builds in the future not yet invented, as I live in a new build as does one member of the family. They still need heat, the construction isnt that great, thin walls etc When Im looking at property places with real chimneys get extra points as Id like to be able to have a real fire.

I think a better plan would be to move somewhere that is warm longer in the year. Or perhaps somewhere small in the UK to make sure you qualify for the oh so fabulous NHS and a place in France or Spain to spend the winter.

Comment

Not a new build barrat style house, bespoke built. 50cm walls, energy capture, tripple glazing.

Comment

Not a new build barrat style house, bespoke built. 50cm walls, energy capture, tripple glazing.
                      I suspect it would be cheaper just to pay to heat a normal one, bit like these hybrids.

Comment

Working...
                      X