• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Putting kids through private school, or moving house to get to a better school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    you live in a decent area and therefore have a decent comp then I personally don't think it's worth it.
    That used to be the case until the lefties realised that to overcome nice areas having nice schools they would bus the unruly/unfortunate/unteachable problem children in

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Locally we've got a highly sought after 6th form, you just need to get good enough grades at 16 to get into the 6th form and you are back in with a lot of the private kids anyway.
    Aye - if they have got good grades then good 6th forms will welcome you
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Interpret it how you want, but I'll use common sense, thank you.
      Your view of common sense is also entirely subjective.

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I presume that is because you cannot debate it so instead you lazily sneer at the comment.
      You sound like a flat-earther or young-earth Creationist claiming that because nobody will treat their claims seriously, that means they don't have a proper counter argument.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        That used to be the case until the lefties realised that to overcome nice areas having nice schools they would bus the unruly/unfortunate/unteachable problem children in
        Creates a 'real world' environment that any kid should learn to cope and succeed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Often but not necessarily true. Public schools tend to push the kids harder, which means the lazy clever ones, who'd otherwise just doss around, get pushed and get the results they're capable of.
          Yeah, no doubt, but that's also something that sufficiently involved parents can generally achieve alongside state schooling. Just not necessarily that easily.

Comment

A good public (i.e private) school shouldn't take thick children in the first place
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

Aye - if they have got good grades then good 6th forms will welcome you
              The unruly/unfortunate/unteachable get streamed into other classes if its anything like my time, we only mixed with them for sport and at lunch time, crossing paths with them was part of the all round education.

Our local 6th form is probably tougher to get into than a lot of private schools, its very selective and buses kids in from miles away, hence it comes in the top few in the league tables, like any selective school, private or state.
              I think they have just had a ticking off for being 'too selective'.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                The other option is to move house, into an area with better local schools, but this will prove more difficult, having to find a suitable property, moving away from family/friends etc. And homes in good catchment areas seem to cost 20% to 30% more than in our area.
                Well, quite.

I have already moved 70 miles away from friends and family to an area with much, much better school prospects for my son. I reckon it's going to be worth it. (Better be).
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Hey all

Posting in General but hoping for some serious discussion.

I am becoming increasingly disappointed with the local school in our village. Now it's not a bad school by any means, but it's just not that good either. Average on the Ofsted report, which I didn't initially believe because I thought the school was better, but I see it now that our kids have been there a while. They don't push the kids enough, and large class sizes make it difficult for teachers to dedicate much time to individual children.
                  My 10 year old daughter was also coasting in her class, again at an average school by ofsted standards.
                  She was around 13th place in a class of 26 at maths. Quite upsetting as i was natural at maths and was always the top student at it.
                  I spent 1 hour a day helping her for 3 months, about 100 days. We did 10 A4 sheets a day, with 3 exam questions on each sheet. By the end of the 100 days, we had a stack of complete worksheets 1000 pages high. (I promised her an ipad as an incentive for doing all that hard work). That work was enough to make joint top in the class at maths. We joke in that she probably did more intense studying in that time than i did for my degree finals.
                  Being really good at maths also boosts her at Science and her overall IQ too.

If you are in IT this probably means you are good at Maths and Science etc, most parents aren't. Use that skill to do some 1 on 1 tailored tuition and save yourself some money.
                  Its also one of the most rewarding things you can do in life, teaching your kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                    My 10 year old daughter was also coasting in her class, again at an average school by ofsted standards.
                    She was around 13th place in a class of 26 at maths. Quite upsetting as i was natural at maths and was always the top student at it.
                    I spent 1 hour a day helping her for 3 months, about 100 days. We did 10 A4 sheets a day, with 3 exam questions on each sheet. By the end of the 100 days, we had a stack of complete worksheets 1000 pages high. (I promised her an ipad as an incentive for doing all that hard work). That work was enough to make joint top in the class at maths. We joke in that she probably did more intense studying in that time than i did for my degree finals.
                    Being really good at maths also boosts her at Science and her overall IQ too.

If you are in IT this probably means you are good at Maths and Science etc, most parents aren't. Use that skill to do some 1 on 1 tailored tuition and save yourself some money.
                    Its also one of the most rewarding things you can do in life, teaching your kids.
                    Awesome, great post

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                      Creates a 'real world' environment that any kid should learn to cope and succeed in.
                      So diversion of resources to keep the miscreants in line wouldn't worry you?
                      Last edited by Troll; 4 January 2013, 23:30.
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X