• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you call one of these?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Or be thick as sh1t and go to public school and get the best tutoring.

I went to University with Charles "nice but dim". very verey dim. he scrapped 2 Es at A-level. But easily the most stupid person I met there. Lovely bloke though.
    scraped

Looser
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Of course it's open to anyone. You just need to get decent GCSES, the A-Levels, then sit an entrance exam, then get into Oxford or Cambridge, take up rowing, get on the C-Team, then the B-Team and then onto the A-team and get picked for the race. Piece of piss.
      It's not open to anyone, I never said it was, and so what? It's a race between Oxford and Cambridge students. Just like England v France at rugby, Rotherham v Yeovil at football, or my village and the next village at cricket. No, there's no problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        scrapped

Looser
        Maybe he got in with a Boxing Scholarship works for the septics.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          <snip>So, with my reactionary hat on and my blood pressure slightly above the norm, I mumbled "Bloody..." but I couldn't think of the right term.

Can anybody help?
          Commoner

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Of course it's open to anyone. You just need to get decent GCSES, the A-Levels, then sit an entrance exam, then get into Oxford or Cambridge, take up rowing, get on the C-Team, then the B-Team and then onto the A-team and get picked for the race. Piece of piss.

Of course, you're fooked if you're a woman.
            Boat Race - Welcome

Comment

I like watching the grand national, but I dont demand my right to gallop around jumping eight foot high fences with an Irish midget on me back

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The other day I chanced upon a radio interview and phone in with that chap who swum in front of the boat race, causing it to be restarted. And I was quite taken aback by the support he got from several people because "the Boat Race is an elitest event". Eh?

They were basically saying no-one else gets a chance to enter. Well no, I thought. They wouldn't would they, it being the Varsity Boat Race. Between Oxford and Cambridge. That's not hard to understand is it?

So, with my reactionary hat on and my blood pressure slightly above the norm, I mumbled "Bloody..." but I couldn't think of the right term.

Can anybody help?
                Cretin?

Just imagine how the world would look without elitism. Would people have enough to eat? Houses? Clean drinking water? Medicines?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The other day I chanced upon a radio interview and phone in with that chap who swum in front of the boat race, causing it to be restarted. And I was quite taken aback by the support he got from several people because "the Boat Race is an elitest event". Eh?

They were basically saying no-one else gets a chance to enter. Well no, I thought. They wouldn't would they, it being the Varsity Boat Race. Between Oxford and Cambridge. That's not hard to understand is it?

So, with my reactionary hat on and my blood pressure slightly above the norm, I mumbled "Bloody..." but I couldn't think of the right term.

Can anybody help?
                  By the way, you don't need 3 or 4 A's at A level to get into Oxford or Cambridge. Just like many other universities they have several entrance routes including Continuing Education departments for adults, which is one route by which adults can get themselves into undergraduate or even postgraduate courses within the colleges. So I'd argue that Oxford and Cambridge, just like many other universities, have done their best to make themselves accessible to those who are fairly intelligent, determined enough and who really want to study there. Quite concievable that you could get in through that route in your 20s and if you happen to be a good athlete you could get into the rowing team in your late 20s or even early 30s.

http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/
                  http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/

The 'elitism' in the boat race is exactly the same elitism as you'll find in any high level sports competition; you have to be good at rowing, which is a good thing because people don't want to watch a bunch of fat malcoordinated farties flapping about in a dinghy. Although I might be wrong given the quality of some TV programmes.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This is Trenton Oldfield isn't it.

How could he participate in a radio phone interview - he's in jail.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                      This is Trenton Oldfield isn't it.

How could he participate in a radio phone interview - he's in jail.
                      That's the chap. I wondered the same thing. Is he on parole?

Comment

Working...
                      X