• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 50 places to live

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wendigo100
    People tell me that Perth WA is nice but boring after a while and a bit remote from anywhere else. What do you think, BB?
    I'm from Perth and love the place, it depends what you are after. We have awesome beaches great surfing, windsurfing and the city itself is great. Nice bars and restauarants and property is cheapish (rising tho.) However if u are 21 and after an awesome nightlife then u need to go to Sydney. Also the nearest city is 4 days drive away so it is a bit isolated. So I guess it comes down to what u really want. I work with an English woman who lived out there and hated it because there were no pubs at the beach and the sun was too hot so she moved back to London...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black.
      I'm from Perth and love the place, it depends what you are after. We have awesome beaches great surfing, windsurfing and the city itself is great. Nice bars and restauarants and property is cheapish (rising tho.) However if u are 21 and after an awesome nightlife then u need to go to Sydney. Also the nearest city is 4 days drive away so it is a bit isolated. So I guess it comes down to what u really want. I work with an English woman who lived out there and hated it because there were no pubs at the beach and the sun was too hot so she moved back to London...
      My wife just visited Perth and she said it was boring. She is not a night owl but even she noticed that Perth seemed to close around 6PM.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        My wife just visited Perth and she said it was boring. She is not a night owl but even she noticed that Perth seemed to close around 6PM.
        It is boring. Stay away, don't go there... go to Benidorm or somewhere like that instead.

Comment

I know someone who emigrated to Perth from Swindon, stayed 2 years and then came back to Swindon because Perth was so boring. Had to laugh. How fecking boring can a place be?

Comment

Perth isn't a good place for English people to live.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black.
              Perth isn't a good place for English people to live.
              agreed best stay away. Lots of scots there

I loved Perth and Freo. So many interesting places not too far away (in Oz terms). Thought about settling there for a bit

Comment

Depends what you want , if your young then Perth is not for you , but if your looking for somewhere safe to bring the kids up , cheap property prices , a great outdoor life and a place where your not spending a fortune on central heating then Perth is not bad.

I know a guy that does the same as me part year working and he lives in Vancouver , because of cheaper property prices and he loves skiing.

I only suggested Perth as a place to retire to , some of the contractors here could buy a place outright in Perth and thats with a pool and air con. Its also not too expensive cost of living.

Of course you could go anywhere the property prices are cheap , with the system of working only part of the year , but you do have to go back to the country you are contracting in as its hard to find a contract when you are abroad , agents see that you are not available immediately for interview then they put your CV aside.

Comment

I spent over 2 months in Fremantle back in 2000 - I remember enjoying oysters and Red Snapper and chips at Cicerello's Fish & Chips and a Teppanyaki restaurant (Mandalay's?) which I used to frequent. Spent alot of time flying twins over to Albany and Rotto - fantastic. BBQs on the beach and plenty of RedBack beer.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                    I spent over 2 months in Fremantle back in 2000 - I remember enjoying oysters and Red Snapper and chips at Cicerello's Fish & Chips and a Teppanyaki restaurant (Mandalay's?) which I used to frequent. Spent alot of time flying twins over to Albany and Rotto - fantastic. BBQs on the beach and plenty of RedBack beer.
                    Lovely little micro brewery pubs there too. Name escapes me just now

ah there it is : http://www.sailandanchor.com.au/

Ran over a quokka on my bike in Rottnest too
                    Last edited by Torran; 27 June 2006, 11:34.

Comment

I'm thinking about heading to Zurich for a while when I finally pot some cash so this is good news. I have a ton of relatives out there who are all happy and doing well for themselves

It's the only city in the world where you chuck rubbish on the floor, turn around and it's gone!
                      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                      X