• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deal with permies who want career progression?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    oooh, the delcious irony

Too eager. 3/10

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Too eager. 3/10
      Too gutless 1/10

Comment

Too gutless 1/10

I'm not stupid enough also, I don't have a car full of Martial Arts equipment in case of any "funny" stuff. You're so gay you just daren't admit it.

In fact, just for everyone's edification, Old Hack wanted to meet me at a disused quarry near Warrington.

Just to wind the closet sh!t stabber up I agreed. Now I don't know if he wanted to fight me or **** me but due to his rambling PMs telling me that his Black 4x4 was full of Marital Aids in case of any funny stuff I suspected the latter.

Sorry Old Hack but as I've told you before, you're not my type.
        Last edited by SupremeSpod; 14 December 2012, 08:43.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          What's wrong with squaddies or ex-squaddies?
          Long story. All of the male members of OH's family were squaddies.............except him. As a result he has hangups the size of Africa...........and bristles at the mere mention of the military.
          Hell hath no fury like a limpwrist scorned and all that.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Long story. All of the male members of OH's family were squaddies.............except him. As a result he has hangups the size of Africa...........and bristles at the mere mention of the military.
            Hell hath no fury like a limpwrist scorned and all that.

Not really, I just query why grown men choose a career in which they know they'll be housed with lots of other young men. Also, I was worried when I was told to 'Join the Army and feel a man'. Obviously SB and Spod took them at their word. Often.

Me? I chose a more cerebral way of earning a crust, and less, um, how do I say, homosexual.

Don't get me started on Officers, they pretty much groom them

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Having gone perm I have inherited a number of permies. I have headcount to hire (5) more in total and the for the first two I've hired contractors(!)

This seems to be unnerving the longer term permies. I've got one who wants to know about how his 'career' prospects should be handled. He wants to pick and choose the projects he is assigned to - siting 'that's not what I thought I would be doing when I was hired'. The contractors will do anything.

My 'can do, will do' attitude is not resonating well with my new permie staff.

Suggestions please?
              Ask on a permie forum?

Comment

Makes me giggle that. I am not too sure I would ever have heard a yank say he wasn't hired to do X but Y, as most companies would heave him out on the pavement.

I worked with a senior Oracle Developer, permie PS man, who, on being asked to construct a presentation, refused saying he weasn't told he'd have to do them at interview. In the real world, he'd have been eased out, the same as your fella.

As an aside, part of the new Public Sector contracts involve clauses that state Contractors have to knowledge transfer.
                Yes, but ultimatly you can decide what knowledge to transfer

When this happens to me I transfer only the knowledge relating to the project project - deliverables, logs and communication included.

They are always so overwhelmed with information that they don't noticed that I've not given out any intellectual property that got me the contract in the first place. And rightly so, else I wouldn't do it this way.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

I'm not stupid enough also, I don't have a car full of Martial Arts equipment in case of any "funny" stuff. You're so gay you just daren't admit it.

In fact, just for everyone's edification, Old Hack wanted to meet me at a disused quarry near Warrington.

Just to wind the closet sh!t stabber up I agreed. Now I don't know if he wanted to fight me or **** me but due to his rambling PMs telling me that his Black 4x4 was full of Marital Aids in case of any funny stuff I suspected the latter.

Sorry Old Hack but as I've told you before, you're not my type.
                  Oh dear, you can't even tell the truth when you try can you.

You've been chuntering on about meeting up with me and giving me a hiding for about a year mate. Despite offering you many occassions, you always had an excuse. I was up in Manchester way, working, and you offered me out, and I even let you choose the location. I gave you the make model of my car, you gave the location, and you bottled it mate.

That, my friend, is the simple truth. You have been on here all the time being the big charlie big potatoes, and when yuo had a chance to sort it out, you bottled it.

That, is the absolute long and the short of it Spod. You're just a gutless little tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                    Ask on a permie forum?
                    +1

This is a contractor forum.

But as a permie, I think the permie guy has a point. Why accept half the money and be treated like dirt. If you want to treat them badly then pay them well.

Are you sure you are cut out to be a manager?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Yes, but ultimatly you can decide what knowledge to transfer

When this happens to me I transfer only the knowledge relating to the project project - deliverables, logs and communication included.

They are always so overwhelmed with information that they don't noticed that I've not given out any intellectual property that got me the contract in the first place. And rightly so, else I wouldn't do it this way.
                      I just quit the role. It's got to the stage where I know I can work in the Private sector, as easily as the Public, but preferred public as they have all the latest gear in my area. I have spent years, and years, and years honing my skills and I simply am not prepared to give it all up; I am a technical expert, not a lecturer.

Comment

Working...
                      X