• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The End of Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Yes, MoneyWeek may be trying to flog their panacea, but that doesn't mean they aren't correct!
    Nor are they the only ones saying it.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      Says the man who claims to be retired and wealthy enough to buy expensive sports cars yet spends his day typing on a forum for working contractors.
      As I thought, you must be spectacularly unsuccessful if you think that £25K constitutes a large amount of money for a car.
      But don't worry you're not the only one.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Glib and smug as ever, but what you conveniently overlook is that the public spending proportion of GDP has crept up steadily over the last decade and is now approaching 50%, the highest level since the 70s (when things weren't exactly rosy for the UK) and before that WW2.

That proportion of GDP counts for nothing in the argument you're trying to make - It's just "taking in each others' washing" as Jonathan Swift (I think) put it.

As I mentioned recently, what gives me the creeps more than anything is how many non-essentials seem to have been getting noticeably cheaper over the last year or two. As economic signs go, that's equivalent to waking up on an ocean liner in mid voyage and seeing a steady stream of water seeping under the cabin door.

Yes, MoneyWeek may be trying to flog their panacea, but that doesn't mean they aren't correct!
        Can't be bothered to explain, if you can't look beyond the obvious.
        My point being that the UK has many times in its modern history been in a far worse economic state than at present.
        Of course every time may be different and we may be in a "perfect storm", but that is not at all obvious, particularly if you have travelled to the east recently.
        Let's agree to disagree.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          As I thought, you must be spectacularly unsuccessful if you think that £25K constitutes a large amount of money for a car.
          But don't worry you're not the only one.
          Could have several tomorrow if I wanted them, I come from a family that currently owns more sports cars than you have ever owned in your life. All of which will become mine when they old man snuffs it and will be quickly sold as I have no interest in them, to me they are uncomfortable look at me things. Something as I child growing up I didnt enjoy having my legs up my chin in the back seats. They are old men things from the days the roads werent covered in a red light every hundred yards. But you are not interested in facts or reasoned opinions as lets face it you dont even own one yourself, the car or a reasoned opinion.
          Last edited by escapeUK; 8 December 2012, 16:10.

Comment

I come from a family that currently owns more sports cars than you have ever owned in your life. All of which will become mine when they old man snuffs it and will be quickly sold as I have no interest in them, to me they are uncomfortable look at me things. Something as I child growing up I didnt enjoy having my legs up my chin in the back seats. They are old men things from the days the roads werent covered in a red light every hundred yards. But you are not interested in facts or reasoned opinions as lets face it you dont even own one yourself, the car or a reasoned opinion.
            oh god, a "my dad has more cars than your dad" post.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              oh god, a "my dad has more cars than your dad" post.
              If you say so.

Comment

If you say so.
                25 years ago I paid 180 quid for a K Zildjian 20 inch dark ride after a week of working 18 hour shifts ramming stuffing up turkey's arses. To this day it is still my most cherished item, I make that money on monday morning these days after a couple of cups of tea doing sweet feck all.

I know I am lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  WHS. That "article" is a prime example of the misuse of graphs to con the gullible and under-edjumacated.
                  As an example, they've used a non-contextual graph of Britain's debt - if you use the equivalent debt/GDP ratio graph which is more relevant, you'll see that the UKs debt has been much more proportionately in the past, most recently just after the 2nd World War.
                  Next!
                  All good points. I see for a chance you handed the assguru account to the one with the brain for a change. Please put him on more.

BUT after the 2nd world war Britain made stuff the world wanted. We did not face such huge competition - now its the rise of Asia.

It would help if we did not have such health and safety around. And maybe invested in some possible growth areas like electric cars. And invested in shale, nuclear and coal power stations. If we could at least have cheap energy we might stand a chance.

In short we need someone like maggie to save us. Dodgy Agent!

At the moment we have a cretin. Assguru.

Comment

What goes around comes around.

We priced ourselves out of the global market so lost our industrial base.

Once China does the same, maybe India and Africa next and then it will be our turn again?

I've often thought we could prosper as an off shore manufacturing base selling to the bureaucracy bound Europeans.

Mind you, we'd have to have to get the inevitable revolution out of the way first to get rid of the tw*ts that are screwing the country up.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                      Mind you, we'd have to have to get the inevitable revolution out of the way first to get rid of the tw*ts that are screwing the country up.
                      And all the useless unemployable breeders. So, death camps it is then.

Comment

Working...
                      X