• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The End of Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Not only was it the greatest empire ever, in terms of power and extent
    but the greatest acheivement was that it managed it's own decline in such a delicate and nice way.

That NEVER happened before. that was/is a triumph of civilisised behaviour

anyone who has any sense of history would be damned proud to be British

WHS.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      If all the stuff they say could happen does happen - and the article has more what-ifs than a Jehovah's Witnesses book about the end times - but, if it all comes to pass as they describe, I don't see how having a subscription to their magazine is really going to help.
      WHS. That "article" is a prime example of the misuse of graphs to con the gullible and under-edjumacated.
      As an example, they've used a non-contextual graph of Britain's debt - if you use the equivalent debt/GDP ratio graph which is more relevant, you'll see that the UKs debt has been much more proportionately in the past, most recently just after the 2nd World War.
      Next!
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        WHS. That "article" is a prime example of the misuse of graphs to con the gullible and under-edjumacated.
        As an example, they've used a non-contextual graph of Britain's debt - if you use the equivalent debt/GDP ratio graph which is more relevant, you'll see that the UKs debt has been much more proportionately in the past, most recently just after the 2nd World War.
        Next!
        Yes, it's like the ultimate Daily Mail scare article, a few fallacious arguments with some disingenuous statistics. Sadly some will fall for it and will be planning for the illusory apocalypse.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
          Yes, it's like the ultimate Daily Mail scare article, a few fallacious arguments with some disingenuous statistics. Sadly some will fall for it and will be planning for the illusory apocalypse.
          So I guess the ZIRP must be imaginary too, and having to bail out the banks, of the debt crisis in Greece yes all imagined with disingenuous stats.

Do you happen to work for the public sector by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            So I guess the ZIRP must be imaginary too, and having to bail out the banks, of the debt crisis in Greece yes all imagined with disingenuous stats.

Don't worry, you're too stupid to get the point.
            And your skills and education aren't good enough to escape the UK either.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

We are in a recession, granted, and it might take another few years to get going but that about it. An article based on that though wouldn't have gotten as many hits as this alarmist nonsense is getting though.

Comment

Don't worry, you're too stupid to get the point.
                And your skills and education aren't good enough to escape the UK either.
                Says the man who claims to be retired and wealthy enough to buy expensive sports cars yet spends his day typing on a forum for working contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
                  We are in a recession, granted, and it might take another few years to get going but that about it. An article based on that though wouldn't have gotten as many hits as this alarmist nonsense is getting though.
                  You ignored the question, so Im going to take the answer as being a yes. I cant take seriously what an economic parasite thinks.

Comment

You ignored the question, so Im going to take the answer as being a yes. I cant take seriously what an economic parasite thinks.
                    So is there a date for this so called end of Britain? When is it? 2015? 2020? I thought not! its all speculation and scare mongering.

Comment

Next!
                      Glib and smug as ever, but what you conveniently overlook is that the public spending proportion of GDP has crept up steadily over the last decade and is now approaching 50%, the highest level since the 70s (when things weren't exactly rosy for the UK) and before that WW2.

That proportion of GDP counts for nothing in the argument you're trying to make - It's just "taking in each others' washing" as Jonathan Swift (I think) put it.

As I mentioned recently, what gives me the creeps more than anything is how many non-essentials seem to have been getting noticeably cheaper over the last year or two. As economic signs go, that's equivalent to waking up on an ocean liner in mid voyage and seeing a steady stream of water seeping under the cabin door.

Yes, MoneyWeek may be trying to flog their panacea, but that doesn't mean they aren't correct!
                      Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 December 2012, 12:22.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X