• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from the front line.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Got to be MF with all his mistakes.

He was rattling on about not being in IT a while back, then wanting to move to this country, now he's born and breed, listening to Radio 4 and a techie. Sit back a while, this has a way to run
    Where have I stated I am not in IT? I asked about moving to London, not a country yet despite what Kelvin advocates.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Be good enough to be asked to look after project X for a while etc. If you haven't been asked then you're probably not perceived to be good enough.
      All the projects I have worked on have had a project manager already assigned, there was never any opportunity to manage unless I started some Machiavellian plan to get them fired simultaneously acquiring the role all within a 3-12 month contract.

NEXT.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        You're too stupid to be a manager. Not that that'll make you exceptional.
        You seem to insult anyone and everyone on this board. Now, what is more likely everyone on this board is a cretin/moron/idiot or you have such low self-esteem that you project an air of superiority and belittle others who clearly threaten your somewhat limited intellect? Given the amount of insults you deal out on a daily basis your IQ must be threatened by most of the populace.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
          You seem to insult anyone and everyone on this board. Now, what is more likely everyone on this board is a cretin/moron/idiot or you have such low self-esteem that you project an air of superiority and belittle others who clearly threaten your somewhat limited intellect? Given the amount of insults you deal out on a daily basis your IQ must be threatened by most of the populace.
          I don't insult everyone on this board, only the cretins, of which you are one.
          HTH, BIKIW.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Have you demonstrated any leadership in the dev team at all?

That's the starting point - lead your team in some way. Don't wait for power and authority to be bestowed on you from on high, because it's not.

Find some way to implement the team's performance and take the lead in its' implementation.

Read this : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articl...000000332.html

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
              Have you demonstrated any leadership in the dev team at all?

That's the starting point - lead your team in some way. Don't wait for power and authority to be bestowed on you from on high, because it's not.

Find some way to implement the team's performance and take the lead in its' implementation.

Read this : Getting Things Done When You're Only a Grunt - Joel on Software
              No, because I have never, until now, considered management. I thought all of this would have been self evident given my question?

Anyway it look almost impossible to make this leap whilst contracting, so I will have to put it on hold or rethink my plans.

Comment

Lie on your CV then sink or swim.

Works every time for SY01. Apart from the fact he's a lousy swimmer and spends a lot of time being cast from the lifeboat.

Comment

No, because I have never, until now, considered management. I thought all of this would have been self evident given my question?
                  You asked 'how'. You have been given pointers on what to change to move into management. When you can answer 'yes' to *some* of my questions, then you can start looking for a move.

Anyway it look almost impossible to make this leap whilst contracting, so I will have to put it on hold or rethink my plans.
                  Not impossible, but harder yes.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You're too stupid to be a manager...
                    No-one is too stupid to be a manager. Even I've been a manager in charge of million CHF projects...
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      You are Russell and I claim my £5.
                      Sorry, but the £5 is mine.
                      You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Working...
                      X