• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit search experian - available credit = > £94K !!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If she is happy with a car like the Matiz then I would recommend the Toyota Aygo. 60+mpg, no tax to pay can seat 4 in comfort and still get to 90 on the motorway (wind direction permitting),
    Yes and make she has really comprehensive life insurance, and you'll be set for life. Maybe NLUK isnt as dumb as people think, unless of course he thinks this is a safe vehicle to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      Yes and make she has really comprehensive life insurance, and you'll be set for life. Maybe NLUK isnt as dumb as people think, unless of course he thinks this is a safe vehicle to drive.
      Hmmm. By that rationale, the only safe cars are large ones and you shouldn't buy ANY small car?

Would be nice if we could all afford two hummers per family of course.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Hmmm. By that rationale, the only safe cars are large ones and you shouldn't buy ANY small car?

Would be nice if we could all afford two hummers per family of course.
        Have you heard of jaws? Its the device police use to cut people out of cars, look up jaws of life. My father cut many people out of accidents during his work as a traffic officer.

No he wouldnt recommend anyone buy a small car. It can have 5 stars in some stupid test to make you buy it, you'll still be dead if you go up against someone in a medium well built car. He has many stories of this happening, usually against a Mercedes or Volvo. Who's occupants walk away unhurt, where the little car driver is lucky to be in a wheelchair.

You should remember that those Euro Ncap tests only compare same size cars against each other, so a 5 star little weak car is not as strong as a 3 star medium.

You make your choices and you take your chances.

Comment

Have you heard of jaws? Its the device police use to cut people out of cars, look up jaws of life. My father cut many people out of accidents during his work as a traffic officer.

No he wouldnt recommend anyone buy a small car. It can have 5 stars in some stupid test to make you buy it, you'll still be dead if you go up against someone in a medium well built car. He has many stories of this happening, usually against a Mercedes or Volvo. Who's occupants walk away unhurt, where the little car driver is lucky to be in a wheelchair.

You should remember that those Euro Ncap tests only compare same size cars against each other, so a 5 star little weak car is not as strong as a 3 star medium.

You make your choices and you take your chances.
          I dont disagree but like I said in an ideal world......
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Whilst I don't disagree with what you say I wasn't aware of this. I can't see anywhere on the NCAP site that backs this up? The catagories are on the search thing yes but looking at the protocol documents I can't see anywhere it mentions cars are groups and inividually rated by type? I would be dissapointed if that was the case. I thought the idea was to give a balanced review of saftey of all cars, not per car type. A 5 star super mini not having the same protection as a 3* large family car means you still don't have a qualified comparison of the two, which I thought was the whole purpose of the tests.

Cutting people out of cars due to a crash with combined speeds of 80+ upwards isn't covered by NCAP and abolsutely, you would expect a bigger car to fare better.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Euro NCAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comparing test results

The Euro NCAP frontal impact tests simulates crashing a car into another of similar mass and structure. This means that the ratings can only be meaningfully compared between cars of the same type and size.[6] The following structural categories are used:
              Passenger car
              MPV
              Off-roader
              Roadster
              Pickup
              In each category, cars which are within 150 kg of one another are considered comparable

Buying your car | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Are large cars safer than small cars?
              In frontal impacts between cars, the occupants of the heavier car or the one with higher structures tend to fare better than those travelling in lighter, lower cars. As it is not possible to simulate the influence of mass in a test against a fixed barrier, Euro NCAP recommends comparison only between cars which are of a similar mass (+/- 150kg) and in the same category. Such comparisons allow the relative safety performance of cars to be judged accurately.

Can results be compared between groups?
              Accurate comparisons can only be made between cars in the same group. The frontal test mirrors a crash between two cars of similar size. A heavier car or one with a higher structure will tend to have an advantage if it impacts a smaller car. The Euro NCAP results cannot be used to predict the outcome of such crashes.

Aygo Weight = 890
              Ford Focus = 1270
              VW Golf = 1323

And so on.

But Ive already said what the experience of my father was, in a crash little car = dead or disabled, big car = walk away with stiff neck.
              Last edited by escapeUK; 7 January 2013, 16:53.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXunnaaYtz0

There's a video for people who like to see proof, there a Yaris as an example. See how the Yaris is destroyed by the Camry.

"In a real world crash the driver of the Yaris would sustain serious injuries, by comparison the driver of the Camry would fair much better."

Im a little surprised that people do think that small cars with 5 stars are as safe as a big car with 5 stars, but I guess this is marketing in action!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  That's the prevailing wisdom in the US, and another reason why many merkins prefer to buy large trucks.

EDIT: just watch the video!
                  Last edited by Platypus; 7 January 2013, 17:06.

Comment

Euro NCAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comparing test results

The Euro NCAP frontal impact tests simulates crashing a car into another of similar mass and structure. This means that the ratings can only be meaningfully compared between cars of the same type and size.[6] The following structural categories are used:
                    Passenger car
                    MPV
                    Off-roader
                    Roadster
                    Pickup
                    In each category, cars which are within 150 kg of one another are considered comparable

Buying your car | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating
                    Well that has well and truely burst my bubble I know stats like this are difficult to pin down but to assume you are going to hit a similar sized car is a bit... mehhhh... I thought the whole idea was to ave a definitive guide, not one that would depend on what I hit.

Are large cars safer than small cars?
                    In frontal impacts between cars, the occupants of the heavier car or the one with higher structures tend to fare better than those travelling in lighter, lower cars. As it is not possible to simulate the influence of mass in a test against a fixed barrier, Euro NCAP recommends comparison only between cars which are of a similar mass (+/- 150kg) and in the same category. Such comparisons allow the relative safety performance of cars to be judged accurately.

Can results be compared between groups?
                    Accurate comparisons can only be made between cars in the same group. The frontal test mirrors a crash between two cars of similar size. A heavier car or one with a higher structure will tend to have an advantage if it impacts a smaller car. The Euro NCAP results cannot be used to predict the outcome of such crashes.

Aygo Weight = 890
                    Ford Focus = 1270
                    VW Golf = 1323

And so on.

But Ive already said what the experience of my father was, in a crash little car = dead or disabled, big car = walk away with stiff neck.
                    Yep, can't argue with the common sense (plus ,unfortunately, the practical experience) of this.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Well that has well and truely burst my bubble

NLUK admits he's wrong about something

Comment

Working...
                      X