• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Found out the cause of my back problems....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    You should try MRI with a bit of metal lodged in your right hand....
    This was YOU? What was the metal? What happened?

Details man.......

Comment

Depends on the metal. Anything non-ferrous is fine. Anything ferrous is going to result in you being firmly attached to a very large magnet and/or having said lump of metal forcibly removed from wherever it was stuck.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I had to have my eyes x-rayed as I used to work in a machine shop, better to be safe I suppose!
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          This was YOU? What was the metal? What happened?

Details man.......
          Well, initially it was the pain that was the reminder that the metal was there, then really bad heat, and then pain. By then I realised what was up and started pressing on the buzzer like crazy. The problem is, he asked if I had any metal in my body, and I do have 4 screws in my knee, so I mentioned them, and forgot the little sliver in my hand (I'd taken a shed down a couple of days before and not seen to it). The screws in my knee were fine

Really hurt, and I am sure I felt it being moved.

They stopped and xrayed me, saw the sliver, then sort of went white, then I had it removed.

The pain was quite intense, but I am unsure as to the movement was in my mind.

Comment

Well, initially it was the pain that was the reminder that the metal was there, then really bad heat, and then pain. By then I realised what was up and started pressing on the buzzer like crazy. The problem is, he asked if I had any metal in my body, and I do have 4 screws in my knee, so I mentioned them, and forgot the little sliver in my hand (I'd taken a shed down a couple of days before and not seen to it). The screws in my knee were fine

Really hurt, and I am sure I felt it being moved.

They stopped and xrayed me, saw the sliver, then sort of went white, then I had it removed.

The pain was quite intense, but I am unsure as to the movement was in my mind.
            It probably did move. If it was an elongated bit, like a sliver, then it will have been trying to align itself to the magnetic field like a compass needle swinging to point north.

I did a spell in a medical reasearch department that had an MRI and a CT in the basement, Everyone had to do the safety training regardless of whether you would actually work with the scanners.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I did an iron man with a stuffed L4/L5.
              My back is screwed - MRI scan showed degenerative damage in L4/L5 too.

Apart from using a Posturite chair (which helped during the day) the best boost to my back has been cycling (on a properly setup road bike).
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
              X