• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any of you lot...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a lot of trial and error to this malarky. And a lot of preperation required.

I would start with the bulky mainstays. Prepare an area for about 40 rows of spuds.

prepare a smaller area for cabbages and sprouts. Smaller again for carrots and onions.

If the climate is suitable, they might want to go for lettuce, radish etc.

Clotches, or plastice domes or tunnels are a great help in northern climes. a greenhouse is almost a neccessity, for tomatoes, cucumbers etc.

A good source of manure is important, horse sh1t for the big stuff, pig sh!t for the medium stuff and chemicals (e.g. phostrogen) for the smaller stuff in the greenhouse.

Weeding is a problem and a chore. Double dig spuds in, to avoid weeds. Its back breaking, but well worth it in the long run

Also consider planting strategy.
    A business wants all the stuff to mature at the same time, to reduce picking costs
    Personal use requires that a row of spuds matures each week over a quarter... you get the idea

If they aim to become self sufficient, i applaud them. dont underestimate the details, there are millions

but dont overestimate the problems. just take it easy and do a bit every day

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I tried to grow a few things this year but wasn't very successful except for a pretty good indoor chilli plant.

Don't have the time during the week to make sure things are watered, so I was considering messing around with something like this next year: GardenBot - open source garden automation project
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I really fancy trying this once the drive is done (last on a long list)

What Is Aquaponics - Backyard Aquaponics

Fish poo manure & no weeding or watering. You get fish & veg. Cheap setup ~ £200.

Thoroughly recommend raised beds with copper surrounds (keeps the slugs off).

yes you end up with ugly veg and not a lot of it but it tastes great because you made it!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have some mould growing in the shower
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
          X