• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why should my MP worry about retrospective taxation on avoiders?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    And they have been.
    and you'd be happy if they applied the rules retrospectively with the upcoming threat of new legislation?

That's the question.

Comment

And they have been.
      Most certainly not! The finance act explicitly gives exclusions that allow these schemes to operate legally.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
        Yes. If you're operating as a business for a year. Why does it makes a difference if you're doing it for 3 years?

HMRC might be more likely to take a look as it gets longer, but it doesn't change the nature of the relationship just because it's lasted a long time.
        Well, in the first instance, it does make a difference in the public sector if you are there longer than 6 months. In the second, I'd wager nearly every contract that went on for 3 years would fall under IR35. Thirdly, you're not allowed travel expenses past 2 years, iirc, in contract, another IR35 marker...

Comment

There are 3 primary indicators for IR35. Duration is not one of them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Old Hack;1649785]Well, in the first instance, it does make a difference in the public sector if you are there longer than 6 months.QUOTE]

It doesn't make a legal difference, in this instance. It just has a procurement and therefore contractual implication.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              and you'd be happy if they applied the rules retrospectively with the upcoming threat of new legislation?

That's the question.
              Certainly not. But then I'm not paying 3 to 5% tax via a dodgy offshore outfit.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Certainly not. But then I'm not paying 3 to 5% tax via a dodgy offshore outfit.
                I have just stated, in your position, if they stated any off payroll IT worker is subject to IR35, would you be happy, you're saying no.

So what you're saying, is precisely what they were saying, and you lambasted them.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

I have just stated, in your position, if they stated any off payroll IT worker is subject to IR35, would you be happy, you're saying no.

So what you're saying, is precisely what they were saying, and you lambasted them.

Thanks for clearing that up.
                  I don't expect them to be happy about it.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

I don't expect them to be happy about it.
                    But you were happy to have a bit of a goad.

Hmmm.

Comment

[QUOTE=speling bee;1649789]
                      Well, in the first instance, it does make a difference in the public sector if you are there longer than 6 months.QUOTE]

It doesn't make a legal difference, in this instance. It just has a procurement and therefore contractual implication.
                      Er, no, they are bringing in legislation in the new year, currently in consultation; I am in discussions directly with the treasury about it, funny enough...

Comment

Working...
                      X