• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never say never

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good luck. nothing wrong with making the right decision. you'll be back. last year was treading water and most of this year was half steam ahead but things are changing. rates are rising and work is bubbling up all over the place.

Comment

personally I quite like being a permie.

Comment

yes, but you like dressing up and climbing palaces. not for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I said I'd never do it. Wild horses couldn't drag me back to permiedoom. But I've had such a good offer that I'm taking it, and in a few weeks time I shall be handing in my contractor badge and going to the dark side. The offer is very good; my salary, bonus and pension/car/health insurance/expenses/education and training package is actually worth quite a bit more than I can earn as a contract tester, and there are shares involved.

Why am I doing it?

Firstly, it's a very good offer at a company where there are people I know and respect.

Secondly, I think contracting is fooked at least for the medium term. Rates have fallen and there's no room to negotiate rates at the big corporates with their PSLs, while many smaller clients in NL have a reputation for being very nice and fun until the time to pay the invoice comes along. My rate has wobbled up and down, but peaked in 2008 before the credit crunchie crisis that continues to bore us today, contracts are shorter and it's more and more difficult to get enough work to pay myself the kind of salary the permieco are offering.

Thirdly, our wonderful government is taking away some of the tax advantages that the self-employed enjoy, because just as any other government, they want to carry on spending more than the taxpayer can raise. I've had enough of their bureaucracy and if I have to pay as much tax as a permie, then I may as well be a permie and get some benefits if I end up unemployed or sick.

Fourth, it's becoming more difficult to run a one man business as a craftsman and I'm not a businessman; I'm a craftsman and I want someone else to do all the businessy stuff.

Fifth; it's no fun anymore and I want to go home every evening.

So there you have it; I'm going permie.

Very very disappointed, I'm of the opinion that this site should introduce some sort of distinguishing feature to mark out all the permies taking over this site, either that or change name to 'hasbeenacontractoruk'
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Go for it Mich. If I too, were offered a decent permie job I would probably take it now. I've been contracting since the 80's (with some permie stints as well but never lasting long) and sometimes feel that a lot of the hassle is just not worth it. I've been in this contract now for 3 years and starting to feel a bit permie like but without some of the benefits. Unlike Mich I'm quite lucks as although I'm not in a niche area, its getting more and more difficult to find people to do what I do so finding projects is not too difficult, its just picking the correct one. I have an interview on Friday for one which is only 30 minutes way from home, the last 7+ years have been spent in hotels, so hopefully that will be a good one and I know people who have been there for over 5 years now. You start getting to that age, and point in life, where the travel, searching for contracts, dealing with ****wit agents, etc. are just not worth it and maybe just a simple, well paying job is all you really want...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Market in NL is pretty crap for interim, along with worsening tax rules, its not worth it.
              Try Germany, as far as I can see its pretty good and as you're living in Holland you can commute...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Well, we know you're not too fussy.

Comment

OP is a bottler.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Best of luck

You'll be back...

Comment

oh dear, sfincter uitloper

break a leg
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X