• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

David Gauke - More evidence of duplicity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Like the War Crimes Act 1991 and the Drug Trafficking Act 1994?

I am sure that you deeply disapprove of war crimes. However I now understand that you would not like to see retrospective law changes to catch those who had engaged in reprehensible acts, that were not at that time covered by effective laws.
    Totally different argument - you are talking about criminal rather than civil acts.

Even talking about criminal acts I am not convinced. There are way too many laws already. Just about everything is illegal. The bigger issue is the way the law is applied.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I agree with that. BUT the point BB made in addition was that Gauke has approved retrospective legislation for people who have done similar.
      Sorry, but it aint similar. He has (now in government) said that retrospection should only be used in "exceptional cirumstances".

Now "exceptional" can be hard to pin down and define, but in the case of selling his second home, he hasn't aggressively exploited any loophole and from what I can see, he has complied with both the letter and spirit of all the rules in place.

Let me be clear, Gauke is a snivelling, two-faced [expletive] - but on this event, I don't see he has any case to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
        Like the War Crimes Act 1991 and the Drug Trafficking Act 1994?
        Looks like someone is doing a law degree.

What other poster is doing a law degree just now? Hmmm.

Comment

Totally different argument - you are talking about criminal rather than civil acts.
          Tax evasion is criminal.

Comment

I agree with that. BUT the point BB made in addition was that Gauke has approved retrospective legislation for people who have done similar

Similar?

Using totally artificial offshore scheme that defies common sense and reduces tax liability from 50%+ to 3%? Gauke did not use any schemes - all is very straightforward and so long as he pays capital gains tax if that's his second home then all is fine.

Comment

Even talking about criminal acts I am not convinced. There are way too many laws already. Just about everything is illegal. The bigger issue is the way the law is applied.
              Let's try again. Was it morally right to pay 3% amd does it matter?
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

As long as brillo is tithing to the church that is all that matters.

Brillo? You tithing?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  As long as brillo is tithing to the church that is all that matters.
                  Talking of which - what would happen to Brillo in old times if he tried to use clever offshore to dodge church tax?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Talking of which - what would happen to Brillo in old times if he tried to use clever offshore to dodge church tax?

They would cast demons into him whereby he would dress in the garb of the animal kind and dance merrily on high places.

Oh, I think they must still do that.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      They would cast hot lead into him whereby he would dress in the garb of the animal kind and dance merrily on high places.
                      Sounds like an appropriate punishment for the crime

Comment

Working...
                      X