• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

David Gauke - More evidence of duplicity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    But the law is not to be changed retrospectively to attack Gauke.
    Why should it be changed to attack Gauke? He paid most of money back anyway, and got some left - it's not a loophole that threatens revenues of HMRC because very few people can become MP in the first place.

This is merely a political problem of having MP benefit from their job, it's something for voters to decide on, not HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      it's not a loophole that threatens revenues of HMRC because very few people can become MP in the first place.
      So its okay for the rich to pay not tax as there are so few of them then.

These people are supposed to be setting an example to the rest of us.

But I suppose being Russian it makes sense to you. How is your new sofa?

Comment

So its okay for the rich to pay not tax as there are so few of them then.
        He will pay capital gains tax on it since it's his second home (unless he "flipped" in which case my reasoning does not apply). So that's 28% on £27k, gives around £20k net for him and taxpayer got £47k net gain.

The rules certainly should be changed to return ALL capital gains if the hope was financed by taxpayer, but I fail to see big problem in this instance - amounts are fairly slow for a place in London.

Now if he used offshore trust to avoid paying any tax, or flipped home claiming it's primary resident then yes, that would be a big problem.

I am pretty sure Mr BB cost taxpayer FAR more than Gauke.

Comment

From the article -

"Mr Gauke bought his Kennington flat in 2007 for £285,000. Between March 2010 and June 2012 he claimed more than £13,000 in mortgage interest, with the typical monthly repayment being just over £500. "

So he lived in a very modest flat in center of London, and he only claimed £13k interest - he more than paid it back with a profit capital gains made, ultimately it was him who bought the flat - very reasonably mortgage and good deal for taxpayer given that hotel stay can cost £200 per day.

Should he returned all capital gains? I am not entirely sure really, if the flat was bought by taxpayers in the first place then maybe.

Comment

It's Kennington actuall - flats

1-2 bedroom flats, hardly a mansion for one of the most important ministers of the crown to live in.

A much better question would be to ask where Mandelson got money to buy £8 mln (!) house -

Moneybags Lord Mandelson to buy £8million new home | Mail Online

Comment

BB did pay his share. However so did Gauke.

The difference is that Gauke has allowed the law to be changed retrospectively to attacked BB. But the law is not to be changed retrospectively to attack Gauke.
              Really? What % did BB pay? Maybe I owe him an apology.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                I believe the High Court Judge who ruled against them said something like if it was legit then everybody would only pay 3% income tax, yet BB insists that 10% or so paid in fees should be added up to truly evaluate real savings

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  I believe the High Court Judge who ruled against them said something like if it was legit then everybody would only pay 3% income tax, yet BB insists that 10% or so paid in fees should be added up to truly evaluate real savings
                  I like retrospective law.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I like retrospective law.
                    I like justice to be done.

How many years would Judge Dredd give to BB?

I reckon the size of crime would warrant summary execution.

Comment

He payed everything he was supposed to pay. You owe him an apology. But then I think BB is used to general and that to post here to have to be a thick skinned rude c**t and people spouting bollux.

There are certainly way too many cretins here who think that retrospectively changing the law is a good thing. FFS.

Comment

Working...
                      X