• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Religious nutcase doctors refuse abortion to miscarrying woman who then dies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Did they? Is that absolutely established?

Is it absolutely clear that if she'd had the abortion, as she requested, she'd be alive today?
    This misses the point. Outcomes cannot be guaranteed in medicine. The question is, what would have been in the best interest of the mother. A procedure that she requested that would have given her the best chance of survival and also resulted in the termination of the pregancy is the answer. It does sound as if it is still unclear whether she died because the clinical team were following the law, or whether she died because they misinterpreted the law, mis-judged the clinical situation or perhaps refused to intervene because of their own conscience (I do doubt the last).
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Did they? Is that absolutely established?

Is it absolutely clear that if she'd had the abortion, as she requested, she'd be alive today?

Well, I am not medically qualified but if someone miscarries in the early stages of pregnancy, the baby has no chance of survival. Obviously religious nut cases might suggest otherwise just because there was a heartbeat.

Its not clear if she would have survived if an abortion was performed but she would have a chance at least.

What would they do if a pregnancy scan resulted in a diagnosis that the baby would be born with severe disabilities ?
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

The point is that for all we know, it was medically in the woman's best interests for her to be treated as she was, and was entirely in accord with all decent medical practice - and she died anyway.

Equally, for all we know, the baby wasn't going to survive, and if the mother had had an abortion at the point she requested, she'd have been alive and well(ish) today.

Maybe we'll find out after the investigation - though I have my doubts.

Posturing about religion, the Irish and the Irish law being to blame at this point is a bit premature.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Posturing about religion, the Irish and the Irish law being to blame at this point is a bit premature.
          'xactly.

Comment

The point is that for all we know, it was medically in the woman's best interests for her to be treated as she was, and was entirely in accord with all decent medical practice - and she died anyway.

Equally, for all we know, the baby wasn't going to survive, and if the mother had had an abortion at the point she requested, she'd have been alive and well(ish) today.

Maybe we'll find out after the investigation - though I have my doubts.

If it was England would they have aborted ?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              If it was England would they have aborted ?
              How do you know?

You don't know anything about the patient, the medical history, the issues and you don't have any formal medical training.

A pissed off person goes and bumps his gums to the press, that gets opinion reported in the rags then you form your opinion of how a doctor should have dealt with a situation.

Laughable.

Comment

Anyway, it could have been much worse, they could have come to the UK and got an Indian doctor.

I'm off to the pub

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  How do you know?
                  The OP put a question mark in.

Laughable
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Anyway, it could have been much worse, they could have come to the UK and got an Indian doctor.

I'm off to the pub

Fair enough. Indian doctor incompetence is another thread by itself and I have many incidents to talk about. Nothing which resulted in a death of a patient but less serious.

Comment

they invoked catholic laws to deny the mother a chance to survive.
                      No, they invoked the law of the land.

There are tulip loads of Catholic 'laws' at home that aren't legally binding.

What would they do if a pregnancy scan resulted in a diagnosis that the baby would be born with severe disabilities ?
                      Nothing. Again... there is no selective abortion.

BTW, I'm not condoning what they did by any stretch of the imagination.
                      Bazza gets caught
                      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X