• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Rugby turning a bit, erm...metrosexual?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doomage View Post
    Christian Cullen
    Probably my favourite ever player to watch in Super 15.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
      I was a pretty winger. A pretty bad winger.

As for Lomu, awesome player, what people often overlook was his speed off the mark, impressive for a big guy. But he played with a lot of passion and vision as well, looking for work, hitting the line at pace while in support. He gained a lot of hard yards as well through the middle of the park and sucked in plenty of defenders creating lots of space. Not the best defender but when he put a big hit in we all felt it.

Arguably Jeff Wilson & Christian Cullen were better players in that era, but Lomu won a lot of games for the ABs.
      Yes, speed off the mark for a big guy and power were what set him aside from the rest in his day, but the exaggerated claims about his 100m time are just silly. 120kg men don't do 10.4 for the 100m.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yes, speed off the mark for a big guy and power were what set him aside from the rest in his day, but the exaggerated claims about his 100m time are just silly. 120kg men don't do 10.4 for the 100m.
        It takes a pretty big cannon.
        Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

I don't know if you've been watching any rugby, but you might have noticed that players these days are bigger, faster and fitter than they were when Lomu was at his peak. That doesn't make Lomu a bad player, he was in fact very good in his day. Now, however, his speed and strength would not be so exceptional as they were then.
          You can argue all you want, but you can't prove it ergo facile argument. Lomu too would have benefited from the modern training methods. It's an age old argument esp with boxers and whilst it can be interesting is unprovable and therefore no more than a diversion over a few pints.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            Shane Williams has brought out his own line of clothes

SW11 Clothing

Just like that big Shandypants Fran Cotton. Sheeesh!!
            What next?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Just like that big Shandypants Fran Cotton. Sheeesh!!
              What next?

Gavin Henson's designer lingerie?

Comment

Gavin Henson's designer lingerie?

Now Charlotte Church's...............MMMmmmmmm
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  You can argue all you want, but you can't prove it ergo facile argument. Lomu too would have benefited from the modern training methods. It's an age old argument esp with boxers and whilst it can be interesting is unprovable and therefore no more than a diversion over a few pints.
                  As does everybody. Lomu used a modern approach well before others; now everybody's using modern methods. Sure, he was good, but his speed has been exaggerated and he simply wouldn't plough through modern players the way he did then.

Campese was clever, but I don't believe he'd get away with half the tricks he played, simply because defences are well organised now, andd back in his day defence training was basically an afterthought, even at the highest levels. Now you have defence coaches, video analysis, well worked out defence theories, and perhaps even more important, many forwards are now just as quick as backs so there's nothing like as much space. Just look at the first try in this vid. If NZ defended like that now the whole back line would be dropped; it's shoddy, just what you expect from amateur teams. Dog legs everywhere, isolated tacklers, back row too slow to get across, no line of defence or second line of cover, all pressure applied on fly half and nothing on the centres, no coordinated rush including wings and outside centre starting outside their opposite number to push play back infield, I could go on. Good in their time, but shamateur days and professional days can hardly be compared.

Yes, Campese was good, but could anyone play that way today? No.
                  Last edited by Mich the Tester; 13 November 2012, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Now Charlotte Church's...............MMMmmmmmm
                    I have a good GIF for her, but I keep getting trouble for making threads NSFW!
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

As does everybody. Lomu used a modern approach well before others; now everybody's using modern methods. Sure, he was good, but his speed has been exaggerated and he simply wouldn't plough through modern players the way he did then.
                      You can't prove it.

Circa 1973 there was a boxing match.

Boxer X was bigger, stronger and @10 years younger than boxer Y
                      Both X and Y had recently fought boxer Z. Boxer X had knocked out boxer Z in 2 rounds and knocked him down numerous times in the first round. Boxer Y had lost to boxer Z over the distance and had his jaw broken.

The result is well known, but completely against the informed opinion. Unless Lomu was playing now at his peak all your definitive statements are no more than speculation and opinion, not fact.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X