• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motivating people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gloucsman View Post
    I have no idea how big your business is but if it is a larger business then I presume you have a layer of management who are 'taking up the slack', however you may have answered your own question when you mentioned 'micro management' which I suggest means your management aren't driven or leading.
    I think that's the point; either they aren't there or they aren't doing that.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Why don't you get an external company to handle your recruitment? They would probably do a better job of it.

Seriously though, get someone with a neutral perspective to review things, maybe there is an actual problem.
      Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
        Why don't you get an external company to handle your recruitment? They would probably do a better job of it.

Seriously though, get someone with a neutral perspective to review things, maybe there is an actual problem.
        There is no better place than CuK for good independent advice
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Gloucsman View Post
          I have no idea how big your business is but if it is a larger business then I presume you have a layer of management who are 'taking up the slack', however you may have answered your own question when you mentioned 'micro management' which I suggest means your management aren't driven or leading.

There are only 10 people in the business and apart from my secretary () they are all charged with making targets. rather than managing people they manage "desks"
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            rather than managing people they manage "desks"
            I used to do that when I was 10 years old.
            I got pencil monitor at 9
            then I got promoted to desk monitor at 10. At 11, I broke the 'glass ceiling' and moved into people management with the rank of prefect.

We have 4 cats dodgy. When the boss cat is snarley, they all get snarley
            when the boss cats is purring, they all purr.
            Why not try curling up on the office floor and wash your whiskers, I bet the staff all do the same

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

And out of those 10 people do you have a leader, or as you said earlier is each responsible for their own desk ?, how long has your longest employee been with you ? Do you have somebody who is responsible for the performance of others ? If you don't then I don't think you would be able to sit on 'top' of the business.

Do you have your own clients that you are still offering a brilliant service to or do you pass them all to your staff ? Do your staff look up to you for inspiration...?

Comment

It's the infrastructure of the mechanisms of state driven entitlement mixed with not being directly responsible for the outcome of your own efforts.

Consider sick pay. While this is a great thing to protect those that have unfortunately been struck down with something that wasn't necessarily their fault and is a great safety net for avoiding being immediately thrown on the scrap heap, the long term consequence of constructs such as this, is that the greater and long term effect of this well meaning benevolence leads to a generality of reduced motivation, self-reliance and productivity when compared to other competing workforces that have none of these. It is a consequence of the human make up.

Not saying what is right or wrong. Just pointing out a trending causality.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Why are so few people so poorly self motivated. In order that I can get my recruitment people working I have to hold them to account on their activity levels. they will work slowly to make three or four placements then start all over again and it will then be another 3 months to get the next 3 or four placements.

They get comfortable on their pittance of basic salaries and unless I feed them clients they just simply fiddle around doing as little as possible. Once they get work to do they will work pretty well but they will not go the extra yards in order to ensure a regular stream of placements without me micro managing them.

I have been doing it for years now and to be honest I am fed up with it.
                  I can't be bothered to read all this. It strikes me that the Recruitment Industry is a telesales McJob type industry that people only do until they can get into a proper career. There's only so many times you can cold call someone and get told to "**** off" before you lose your motivation surely?
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I have decided to make a personal sacrifice to aid the 'agents in need' charity org.

I will make the supreme effort to bend right over and shave all the hairs off of my bum.

I am looking for sponsors to support my 'BumVember' initiative, and I pledge that if I get over £2.50, I will not only shave my derriere, but I will get an industrial brazing torch and set fire to the biggest f@rt I can muster, and singe the bastid clean.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Explosive collars like in the Running Man - triggered by dissatisfied customers.

If that does not improve morale I don't know what will...

Comment

Working...
                      X