• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You''ll live where we put you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I'm not sure it's healthy that someone who is privileged enough to be able to live and work in Zurich
    I wouldn't say I'm privileged, I've moved here for work as that's where the gig is. Part and parcel of being a contractor going where the work is, doubtless to say I'll be back and will be contributing once it ends and what for? for people to be given nice houses and not have to work
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Well it would have suited me to be able to live in Cardiff when I worked there and also mine and my wife's family are there. It would have saved me 1000's in travel and childcare costs and would be great for my daughter to see more of her cousins etc.

But I don't think anyone gives a toss about that.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        I wouldn't say I'm privileged, I've moved here for work as that's where the gig is. Part and parcel of being a contractor going where the work is, doubtless to say I'll be back and will be contributing once it ends and what for? for people to be given nice houses and not have to work
        If it’s that good, why not give-up and get your flash council paid for pad in Cardiff?

It’s easy to find extremes in all areas and the system can be scammed and will continue to be scammed. But all this talk of vouchers for food and refugee camps of unemployed is the kind of drivel I'd expect to here from the National Front.

I’m no fan of people seeing joblessness as a career choice, I do believe in incentivising work and punishing those that are able but unwilling to contribute. But this type sweeping catch-all rhetoric also means those with learning difficulties, disabilities, medical and social problems get caught up in this.

I’m a fan of the cap on housing but at the same time there needs to be social housing stock available.
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

But also giving them a need to get off their asses and become a productive member of society.
          The whole topic isn't as black and white as benefit cheats and the genuinelly unable, be it through lack of opportunity or disability.
          "Them" seems to imply that you think all people in council houses are somehow frauds, it's a bit insulting and very far from the mark.

Comment

its a CAP.

They are not saying you can't live in London, they are saying we won't pay £400 a week to rent a house, Those with big families or expensive rents are being offered alternative accommodation possibly out of London.

Unless they follow this by putting all claimants in cheap out of town properties its a non story.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              The whole topic isn't as black and white as benefit cheats and the genuinelly unable, be it through lack of opportunity or disability.
              "Them" seems to imply that you think all people in council houses are somehow frauds, it's a bit insulting and very far from the mark.
              Fair point....

Although the majoirty of people who live in council accomodation and have accomdation paid for by the council have no money as they do not work....

Or to put it more simply I have a job and therefore do not get council handouts - someone else who does not have a job gets council handouts...

yes there are people who get handouts who cannot work and for clarity they are not included in my get off their asses comment.

There clear now?

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                If it’s that good, why not give-up and get your flash council paid for pad in Cardiff?
                Unfortunately due to complications giving birth to my daughter we are unable to have anymore children, therefore as I only have one child I wouldn't be classed as priority on the housing list.
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Fair point....

Although the majoirty of people who live in council accomodation and have accomdation paid for by the council have no money as they do not work....

Or to put it more simply I have a job and therefore do not get council handouts - someone else who does not have a job gets council handouts...

yes there are people who get handouts who cannot work and for clarity they are not included in my get off their asses comment.

There clear now?
                  Actually many housing benefit claimants are working:

Majority of new housing benefit claimants in work | News | Inside Housing

Since November 2008, the proportion of housing benefit claimants in work has increased from 10 per cent to 17 per cent, while the overall number of in-work claimants has doubled from 430,000 to 865,000.
                  so not only are we subsidising big business with them avoiding tax I suspect we are also creating a living wage for their employees.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                    Unfortunately due to complications giving birth to my daughter we are unable to have anymore children, therefore as I only have one child I wouldn't be classed as priority on the housing list.
                    very sorry to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      so not only are we subsidising big business with them avoiding tax I suspect we are also creating a living wage for their employees.
                      The problem with the living wage is though it's a decent idea in principle it makes the country very uncompetitive with other countries and if I owned a large business I would relocate to keep costs down. Which means there are less jobs and higher unemployment.
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X