• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google maps - driving times - how accurate do you find it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Google has 'learnt' my commute and gives me a little update just before I leave telling me how long each journey is going to take considering current traffic conditions, I didn't even ask.
    It is very good, though I notice in the morning whilst at work it's still telling me "37 minutes to work". It also alerts me every time the A34 turns into a car park.

I think Google use 60mph average for motorways. I probably average 80mph on motorway journeys, and as a rule of thumb I work off 3/4 of the journey time Google says, and that's mostly turns out to be right.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

are you referring to google on your laptop, on your phones browser? or the app? that notifies you of your commute time?

EDIT: found it, 'google now' does it

Google Now pinpoints information such as traffic conditions and sports updates based on a users’ past behavior with the device. Sports nuts who have a history of checking for updates from their favorite teams every morning may find that their phone now automatically opens a link to the relevant information at that time of day.

Google Now can also link with travel. Searching for a specific flight will add a card listing departure times and gate numbers to the travel section of your Google Now page.

If you take a particular flight often, then schedules may be automatically updated to what Google calls your “card,’ or a notification that’s an automated blurb, giving you the lowdown.

When you have a flight, Google Now checks traffic so you can know how long it’ll take to get to the airport. It also updates flight delays and traffic conditions to the airport for flights you’ve recently searched for.
      Read more at http://www.tnooz.com/2012/08/14/news...FpGmErZIh62.99
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
      X