• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jimmy Savile 'household name' sweep

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Really then how to you explain this case? linky
    Explain what? That the CPS offered no evidence?

That doesn't mean they had none when they decided to bring charges. They could have lost it, they could have decided that they wouldn't win and didn't want to disclose what they had, maybe the dog ate it.

How do you explain that the CPS are the body that decide whether someone should be charged in serious cases, not the police?

Decision to Charge: Victims and Witnesses: The Crown Prosecution Service

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
      Explain what? That the CPS offered no evidence?

That doesn't mean they had none when they decided to bring charges. They could have lost it, they could have decided that they wouldn't win and didn't want to disclose what they had, maybe the dog ate it.

How do you explain that the CPS are the body that decide whether someone should be charged in serious cases, not the police?

Decision to Charge: Victims and Witnesses: The Crown Prosecution Service
      It's a bit confusing:

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) is the independent public authority responsible for prosecuting people in England and Wales who have been charged by the police with a criminal offence.

In undertaking this role we:

Advise the police on cases for possible prosecution
      Review cases submitted by the police for prosecution in accordance with the principles in The Code for Crown Prosecutors
      Consider the alternatives to prosecution in appropriate circumstances
      Where the decision is to prosecute, determine the charge in all but minor cases
      Prepare cases for court
      Present those cases at court.
      Once the police have completed their investigations, they will refer the case to us for advice on how to proceed in all but the most minor and routine cases. We will then make a decision on whether a suspect should be charged, and what that charge should be.

The Crown Prosecution Service does not act for victims or the families of victims in the same way as solicitors act for their clients. We act on behalf of the public and not just in the interests of any particular individual.

Our prosecutor will read the file and consider the two tests laid down in The Code for Crown Prosecutors, which sets out the basic principles that crown prosecutors must follow when making prosecution decisions. These tests must be applied in every case.

Comment

I would support a 'disclosure warrant' in the same style as a search warrant.

The Police & or CPS apply to a judge for the right to name the defendant. If they don't get approval its just like having a super injunction except for carefully controlled Police inquiries until convicted.

If the evidence is slim the police have to work harder. If the evidence is strong then there is little recourse.

I would also make it mandatory to prosecute malicious accusers in this case.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It's a bit confusing:
          I guess it is if you are illiterate, yes.

The CPS prosecute people who have been charged.
          The Police charge people.
          In minor cases the Police decide whether to charge, in more serious cases the CPS decide whether to charge.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            I would also make it mandatory to prosecute malicious accusers in this case.
            Identifying malicious accusers is difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Identifying malicious accusers is difficult.
              Indeed however it is possible & worthwhile.

Comment

Well that should improve top gear

Top Gear's Chris Evans 'to be quizzed by police over sexual assault allegations' | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Max Clifford says he has been kept in a cell with no kettle for nearly 24 hours a day 

I know you can judge society by how it treats its criminals. And I should be more charitable towards him. But I find him an odious person and I am not in the least bit surprised he was found guilty.

However I struggle to feel any sympathy for him. I will save it all for his victims.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Max Clifford says he has been kept in a cell with no kettle for nearly 24 hours a day*

I know you can judge society by how it treats its criminals. And I should be more charitable towards him. But I find him an odious person and I am not in the least bit surprised he was found guilty.

However I struggle to feel any sympathy for him. I will save it all for his victims.
                    Quite. I rather suspect he's been kept locked in for his own protection. Sex offenders tend to get a pretty rough time in prison. And as for the lack of a kettle, that's to stop him committing suicide by drinking the prison tea.
                    Seriously though, has that tosser got no shame? And shame on the Torygraph for giving him column inches.

Edit - just re-read and it's a quote from the trial, but they could have left out the "poor me, everyone hates me" tulip.
                    Last edited by Mordac; 5 July 2016, 10:19. Reason: Clarification
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Edit - just re-read and it's a quote from the trial, but they could have left out the "poor me, everyone hates me" tulip.
                      would have thought he was used to that by now.

Comment

Working...
                      X