• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm depressed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Not properly depressed, like need happy pills depressed. This is more of a general malaise.

Contract ending. Nothing on the horizon. Applying for gigs, getting cv s put forward but no interviews.

The thing is, this is normal and I should be looking forward to a wee bit of time off. So why aren't I?

I think one reason is that the big project at client co, is going wrong. I can help. It has been widely recognised I can help. They keep coming to me for help. But won't offer me an extension. I just don't geddit. It's weird. They will mug me off for what they can get while I'm there, and happily let me walk out the door even if this means the project failing.

Don't get me wrong, I've not got tickets on myself. Others could come in and also help, but I'm there, have domain knowledge, have proven my worth and am well liked.

I only have one person there that doesn't want me there. Because he is the one who is fecking things up, and by getting me involved it means he will be exposed. So while everyone knows he is fecking things up, they are happy to let things ride.

Really not sure why this is getting to me this much, but when you see you can help, you just want to. The sheer and utter stupidity, political wrangling and utterly ****ed up bollocks drives me nuts. Why no common sense?

Rant over. I just need to pull my head out my arse and get back to dilligaf mode. Struggling to do this.

Flame away. Not cut out for contracting, yada yada yada
    Sounds like my last project!

Still, after a couple of weeks break, you'll feel a lot better. After 4 weeks break you'll have forgotten about the whole thing and won't give a damn. After 8 weeks break, they'll be on the phone asking you to come back (and that's when you'll start getting depressed again.)

Seriously, take a break and chill - absolutely no point being a contractor otherwise.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      You waited until the kid was 15 before getting a job? My mum was single when the old man died and she worked two jobs from when I was 4, my brother 9 and sister 11. I grew up a typical latch key kid. Nice to have the option for the first 15 years.
      And it clearly did you no harm. You didn't grow up to be a f**kin' mentalist or anything. Did you ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Let me make you feel happier.

Works great, doing well, boss thinks I am good. Reassured two months before contract end that we will offer you extension, by the way are you sure you don't want to work as a permie for us, we think there's a career path here for you....my response, no, no contracting is preferable. They say no problem.

Cue 1 week before contract ends, my new contract arrives.

20% RATE CUT.

Now I haven't looked around because I am so settled.....

Comment

Go ride your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Go ride your bike.

He is not fat like you that he has to go ride a bike everyday.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

One of the hazards of doing a longish contract is that you (in some of them anyway) start to give a toss. We've all done it and I'm sure none of us are proud of the fact.
              Enjoy your time off Suity. Start planning Christmas with the sprogs, or help SY02 round the house (i.e. hide in the shed).
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

6 weeks ago you saved a man from a burning car.. or similar.. you're a hero.. go and meet him that'll cheer you..

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

If only you knew anything about BPM I'm looking for a BA.
                  If you tell me what BPM stands for I'm sure I could do that. I'd just have to read a few books on it first, like you
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    If you tell me what BPM stands for I'm sure I could do that. I'd just have to read a few books on it first, like you
                    Business Process Management. It's a good thing to get into. The pattern for me has been :

Client Co decides they need it.
                    Client Co gets vendor to implement it.
                    Client Co runs out of cash.
                    Client Co Gets Suity Ltd in to mop up.

Kerrrrrching.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Business Process Management.
                      Sounds like a right load of old bollocks.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X