• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Rating on Equifax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    Electoral registration makes a huge difference.
    does it? I have 975 and not on the electoral role.

the credit agencies and companies do make howling mistakes - e.g my father who has the same name as me was sent an M&S credit card - he sent it back - didn't want it. They put a black mark on MY credit report stating I asked for then refused credit - I said no thats my father - they said did you ever live in the same house as him - I said yes when I was a kid - they oh thats why its on your report - I said did the age difference of 35 years not make a difference - they said no and I must write to M&S - it took three letters to M&S before they would remove the marker from my report.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
      does it? I have 975 and not on the electoral role.
      Its a balancing thing. I'm quite high on score, and have only gone on electoral roll in the past few weeks, such that it hasn't caught up yet. However if you are weak elsewhere, the ER is a easy win.

Comment

credit.

credit

i just dont geddit

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Wouldn't doing a credit check on yourself to Experian, Equifax and Credit Call reduce your credit rating even further as it will leave yet more fingerprint records of recent credit searches made on you ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
            Its a balancing thing. I'm quite high on score, and have only gone on electoral roll in the past few weeks, such that it hasn't caught up yet. However if you are weak elsewhere, the ER is a easy win.
            you are right. I moved recently and I just haven't got around to registering - should do really.

Do you know what 'internal credit checking' actually checks? the likes of 'First Direct' - they refused me an offset mortgage because of 3 failures on their 'internal credit check' - ok electoral register number 1 - and the others? they would not tell me - said it was fraud protection not to tell me. bizarre.

Comment

you are right. I moved recently and I just haven't got around to registering - should do really.

Do you know what 'internal credit checking' actually checks? the likes of 'First Direct' - they refused me an offset mortgage because of 3 failures on their 'internal credit check' - ok electoral register number 1 - and the others? they would not tell me - said it was fraud protection not to tell me. bizarre.
              Do you bank with them? They could be checking their own systems to make sure you are a "good" customer

If they won't tell you why when you ask politely then I think there are other means of asking for the information which they have to comply with

Data Protection Act: Requesting Access to Personal Data

They might cry off using the exceptions though
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Internal checking could be (a) they mean using the external agencies or (b) it could be group information, eg First Direct are part of HSBC which includes M&S Bank/credit cards, John Lewis credit cards etc.

Fraud protection is call centre white wash - use it myself when necessary escalate and you will both get a answer and maybe someone who can look behind the numbers. HSBC are particularly silly on this type of thing.

Comment

And as we've all said before someone from one of the typical 'outsourcing' countries that comes to the U.K. without any credit rating history is usually clean as a whistle and because of this and the lower cost he gets the job and you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    Wouldn't doing a credit check on yourself to Experian, Equifax and Credit Call reduce your credit rating even further as it will leave yet more fingerprint records of recent credit searches made on you ?
                    If you actually did a credit check on the same basis as a potential creditor, yes. What you do for £2 is verify your own details, without leaving a footprint. ISTR that you even get some extra info there that a normal credit-checker does not.
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I looked in to this awhile ago and this is what I was told. Just having a good credit score doesn't mean you will get what you apply for. I believe many products are now tailored to certain groups of people so they look at your credit record and match you up to the product. They may not have just declined you based on an overarching credit score. Some products are tailored for people with bad credit history, middle of the road credit history, history of card transfers and so on. You could have a spotless credit record but can't get acceptence on to a scheme that is aimed at people that have poor ones.

Have to say I didn't quite understand this as I couldn't figure out how we were supposed to know what products are tailored to me. Might not be the reason you were turned down but something to look in to possibly.

I don't believe excessive searches affect your credit history but being turned down for credit might.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X