• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which is worse - Islam or Wonga?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    addiction is not freedom of choice
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Of course it is
    that's all I need to know from you before forming an opinion on your intelligence level.. for that reason I'm out of this conversation
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

potnetially not

you may have started taking Heroin freely - although I would imagine many people did so for different reasons

but once the drug takes hold you have no choice but to keep taking it.

which is just like these loan companies - it gets to a point where each pay day you are spending all your money paying of last months pay day loans and so need to take more pay day loans.

It is a downward spiral that exploits the most vunerable in society - and as it was put on Goal.com the North East is one of the more depressed areas in the country anyway NUFC should have know better

but as has been shown time and time again it is apparently acceptable to have no morals if it makes money

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        It is very easy to sneer at people who pay the sort of interest rates that wonga demand but it is not for us at the top of the worlds income pile to make decisions about those who are less fortunate than ourselves as to what is a "need" and what is a "want"

In india people sell their internal organs to make money. This could apply to what you say above, if someone needs an organ and someone wants to sell one, who are the rich to say it is wrong? Sometimes though as a civilised human being one has to ask if something is morally correct as well as finacially beneficial. Most of the staunchest supporters of capitalism will consider morallity in their business transactions and rightly so, you can spend years building a good repuation and take minutes to lose it.
        Last edited by ZARDOZ; 10 October 2012, 13:52.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          that's all I need to know from you before forming an opinion on your intelligence level.. for that reason I'm out of this conversation
          So you don't have an argument, you can only insult me? How telling. Reminds me of SAS.

If addiction wasn't ultimately a choice how the hell do people ever give up smoking? Or alcohol?

The suggestion that it is not ultimately a choice means people would have to be forced by others to give up these things. Yet that is not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
            In india people sell their internal organs to make money. This could apply to what you say above. Sometimes though as a civilised human being one has to ask if something is morally correct as well as finacially beneficial. Most of the staunchest supporters of capitalism will consider morallity in their business transactions and rightly so.
            Really - honestly - really

why are we in a recession if not partly for bank loaning to people they were pretty sure could not make the repayments to meet shareholder expectations.

where was the morality then?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              It is very easy to sneer at people who pay the sort of interest rates that wonga demand but it is not for us at the top of the worlds income pile to make decisions about those who are less fortunate than ourselves as to what is a "need" and what is a "want"
              It's this individualistic, self-centred mindset, that is making the world such a lonely place. The break down of the family unit, materialism, not being bothered with the welfare of others.

Just because Wonga is "legal", that does not mean to say it is not causing suffering and hardship to others and should actually be made illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Really - honestly - really

why are we in a recession if not partly for bank loaning to people they were pretty sure could not make the repayments to meet shareholder expectations.

where was the morality then?
                Perhaps if governments had taken Adam Smith's advice to implement strict usury laws we wouldn't be in such a mess. But of course, they were advised by MBAs who only read the first page of Wealth of Nations.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  potnetially not

you may have started taking Heroin freely - although I would imagine many people did so for different reasons

but once the drug takes hold you have no choice but to keep taking it.

which is just like these loan companies - it gets to a point where each pay day you are spending all your money paying of last months pay day loans and so need to take more pay day loans.

It is a downward spiral that exploits the most vunerable in society - and as it was put on Goal.com the North East is one of the more depressed areas in the country anyway NUFC should have know better

but as has been shown time and time again it is apparently acceptable to have no morals if it makes money
                  WHS - well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                    So you don't have an argument, you can only insult me? How telling. Reminds me of SAS.

If addiction wasn't ultimately a choice how the hell do people ever give up smoking? Or alcohol?

The suggestion that it is not ultimately a choice means people would have to be forced by others to give up these things. Yet that is not the case.
                    Why do you even bother?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Perhaps if governments had taken Adam Smith's advice to implement strict usury laws we wouldn't be in such a mess. But of course, they were advised by MBAs who only read the first page of Wealth of Nations.
                      It would be easier if the gov stopped printing money, centrally planning the interest rate, deficit spending and backing deposits.

If you take all the feedback mechanisms out of a system it's obviously not going to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X