• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you stopped reading the news?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a tough time over the last couple of years and became depressed for a while - it got pretty nasty at one point and I thought I'd never recover.

Reducing my mainstream news watching to once per week (a summary) has really improved my wellbeing.

I think that there is a balance between feeling ignorant, and being constantly emotionally pummelled by a news media system that is geared up to scare and disgust, in order to drive ratings.

Comment

I can't really avoid the news where I work. They have screens everywhere showing BBC's rolling news coverage.

I often find myself getting stopped in my tracks when I see the caption "Breaking News" flashing across the bottom of the screen only to find that I've just wasted 2 minutes of my life to find out that somebody I've never heard of has pulled out of Come Dancing after twisting her ankle

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Think I might make it a News Years resolution to not watch or read any news at all over 2013.
        Do it now. Trust me, it's lifechanging and I agree about the depression thing.

TV licence free and newspaper free for 4 years.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
          I can't really avoid the news where I work. They have screens everywhere showing BBC's rolling news coverage.

I often find myself getting stopped in my tracks when I see the caption "Breaking News" flashing across the bottom of the screen only to find that I've just wasted 2 minutes of my life to find out that somebody I've never heard of has pulled out of Come Dancing after twisting her ankle
          Grr. One of my pet hates. "Breaking News" should not be just a selection of more or less current news items, it should be reserved for "stop the presses" stuff.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
          X