• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does this count as proper exercise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm too busy, I've other stuff to do in the evening.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When I reach for a can of fozzies, i make swimming motions with my arms as if I am in the pool. When I have secured it, I lean back make 'Backstroke' motions and flip my feet.
      Then when I am swigging it, I make 'golfish' type gulping and neck exercises

it works for me

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Swim twice a week and you will speed up by 0.5s/100m

Miss a week and you slow down by 1.0s/100m

IMO you are doing a good amount of exercise. Well done and keep going!

You could always jog there and back.......

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I'm too busy, I've other stuff to do in the evening.
          Such as?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Such as?

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working from home I thought I'd try to get into the habit of swimming each lunchtime. But I can only really spare an hour out of the house and the pool is 10-15min walk away (on a hill). So with time to change factored in, that's probably 25min walking (half uphill) and 25min swimming.

Does doing that 3-5 times a week constitute a healthy level of exercise that will have a realistic impact on fitness and fatness?
              Yes, that's a healthy level of exercise, but the impact depends on your current and earlier level of exercise. Training to get fitter/faster/stronger means pushing yourself a bit each time and getting the right amount of rest in between.
              Put simply, if you are Chris Hoy, then riding a brompton at 10 mph to the pub around the corner and back isn't going to make you fitter or faster and in fact you'll get fat and wobbly (Chris Hoy eats about 8000 calories a day). If you don't exercise or do little exercise then your plan will be good for you.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Does doing that 3-5 times a week constitute a healthy level of exercise that will have a realistic impact on fitness and fatness?
                You'll still need to look at your diet if you're over weight and want to lose the belly.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

That doesn't sound like fun

I'm not sure. I've put on something like 2.5 stone over the last 5-7 years at a very gradual rate. Given I've worked from home 5 years this could be a factor! I seem to be only just past the tipping point of gaining weight and since I can go all week without leaving the house otherwise, I reckon this level of exercise might tip it back - not quickly but reverse the slow gain.

More important than simply losing weight - I'm far from obese at 12st 3lb - is my fitness. I wouldn't mind being chubby if I was fit (I think the two are possible)
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Such as?
                    Posting on CUK of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X