• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spain OMG!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    So Scotland will simply set itself up as a tax haven..........a la Guernsey/IOM/Jersey etc.

Sorted!!
    How will it pay for free universities as a tax haven though?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
      Initially through the increased Revenues from Oil and Gas. Gradually some form of payment scheme will have to be introduced however.
      But by then there will be enough alternative employment and wealth streams to make the Oil & Gas portion less significant.
      Not that hard to imagine really.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
        8% CT rate and attract international companies. Ireland has done this. The problem is it's a rush to the bottom. What do you do when Ireland cuts to 6%?
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          My greatest fear is that you'll leave me alone with the rest of the English.
          Feel free to fook off back to whatever fly ridden tulipe hole you originated from... and don't let the door hit you on yer arse on the way out
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Initially through the increased Revenues from Oil and Gas. Gradually some form of payment scheme will have to be introduced however.
            But by then there will be enough alternative employment and wealth streams to make the Oil & Gas portion less significant.
            Not that hard to imagine really.
            But in an amazing year for oil, Scotland has only just managed to give more back to the UK than it took? (please bear in mind Scotland is still running a deficit with its share of debt). With production declining, where is this extra oil revenue going to come from?

It's all pointing to the fact that Scotland will be worse off out of the UK... and we haven't even got to separation costs yet.

It's all academic anyway, Scotland will vote no.

Comment

8% CT rate and attract international companies. Ireland has done this. The problem is it's a rush to the bottom. What do you do when Ireland cuts to 6%?
              Well, England will be under permanent Tory rule, and Scotland will still languish in leftism. Hard to see how Scotland will be the one to win that tax race.

CT is only one element of taxation anyway. No point dropping CT if your income tax goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Feel free to fook off back to whatever fly ridden tulipe hole you originated from... and don't let the door hit you on yer arse on the way out
                This is exactly what I'm talking about: missing the point, unintelligently delivered and poorly punctuated as well. Every time I go to Scotland, I find it refreshing to find people who are not afraid of intellectual discussion. The same with Ireland and Wales.

Orwell writes about this very convincingly in one of the essays in the Lion and the Unicorn. I think it was England, your England.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

They would have to leave the EU, Ireland has managed to keep its 8% as it had the rate when it joined the EU. I think the EU has prevented other countries doing the same, as they think it would destabilise the country.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    They would have to leave the EU, Ireland has managed to keep its 8% as it had the rate when it joined the EU. I think the EU has prevented other countries doing the same, as they think it would destabilise the country.
                    Automatic EU membership may be not such a slam dunk as it once seemed.

In Spain, economic crisis fans Catalan separatism | Reuters

Secession would complicate Catalonia's relationship with Europe. The European Union says an independent Catalonia seceded it would have to reapply for membership of the bloc.
                    Also (slightly unrelated but back on topic) have a look at:

Spain risks break-up as Mariano Rajoy stirs Catalan fury - Telegraph

Be Very Careful, Beloved Spain – Telegraph Blogs

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Who'd want to be in the EU anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X