• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do the British hate success?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Never heard so much tulip in my life. In Australia, there's what they call the tall poppy syndrome. I lived there for years and there is nothing more you hate than someone making it big, and boy do you guys whine and like to cut them down.

I lived there for a few years in the late 80's early 90's, and have been back to work, and I can promise you, the hypocracy that comes out of the country is amazing. They come over here and act as though the land is made of milk and honey, is in fact Ambrosia, and it couldn't be further from the truth.

Jeez
    I agree. In my experience it's not the Poms that are whinging.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

What the fook would an Aussie know about what constitutes "success" anyway?
      Most of them think they have reached the pinnacle if they get a job pulling pints in an Earls Court clip joint!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        What the fook would an Aussie know about what constitutes "success" anyway?
        Most of them think they have reached the pinnacle if they get a job pulling pints in an Earls Court clip joint!!

They cant even get those jobs now the Poles have taken over. Its back to thieving for them
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
          I just realised that's why my posts are attracting such a vilification. You people can't stand seeing a winner.
          So glad I left the UK when I did all those years ago but i didn't realise how much my mental landscape had improved.
          Yep, everyone hates the lot of them. Hate their guts. Bastards;

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I understand the English. It was a rhetorical question.
            If you did, and if you read the book, you might have figured out that the British tend to not be easily impressed and might appear indifferent to what you might see as 'great success'.

On a related note, there is also a distinctly British way of presenting one's own abilities/intellect/'success' by 'toning it down' (to the point of appearing to be almost embarrassed by them) - This is the very opposite of say, the American way...

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
              On a related note, there is also a distinctly British way of presenting one's own abilities/intellect/'success' by 'toning it down' (to the point of appearing to be almost embarrassed by them) - This is the very opposite of say, the American way...
              Wahooo! Whoop! Yeah! We got 'em! Waaaaahoooo! Shock! And! Awe!

Followed by press conference;

'there has been some collateral damage' (in English; we blew up a primary school full of kids)
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I just realised that's why my posts are attracting such a vilification. You people can't stand seeing a winner.
                So glad I left the UK when I did all those years ago but i didn't realise how much my mental landscape had improved.
                I think this is true, well certainly from the press point of view, the british press build people up then when they get to the top they spend all their time finding all the angles they can to discredit/knock them down again, the knock on effect is people don't want stories about people being successfull all the time they want to read the scandal, it's what sells papers

Comment

By and large the British dislike rich people, rather than all successful people.

"Squeeze them 'til the pips squeak" found a lot of resonance in the 1970s.

Comment

0/10. FFS is you're going to troll at least try some subtlety. Oh my mistake, you're a thick Ozzie.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      0/10. FFS is you're going to troll at least try some subtlety. Oh my mistake, you're a thick Ozzie.
                      Oh the ironing!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X