• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation rising, stocks down - end of housing boom?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but my point is that the precise measurement of increase in paper money is higher than the % they want inflation to be reported as therefore it cannot possibly be used in the inflationary basket calculation

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      it cannot possibly be used in the inflationary basket calculation

Milan.
      Phhhht ! I think you're an inflationary basket case old bean.

Where did you obtain your degree in economics, by the way?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

quite right bogey man, I have no economic qualifications (and only a douglas in computer science at that!) and am probably talking sheeeet on this subject

moral of the story folks, do your own research

would anybody else care to elaborate on these subjects, to be honest Stacker I am surprised you are asking these questions as I always took you to be a worldy member of the congregation.

Milan.

Comment

their is more to this stuff and who is pulling the strings than immediately meets the eye

Milan.
          Agreed, now say no more

Comment

quite right bogey man, I have no economic qualifications (and only a douglas in computer science at that!) and am probably talking sheeeet on this subject

moral of the story folks, do your own research

would anybody else care to elaborate on these subjects, to be honest Stacker I am surprised you are asking these questions as I always took you to be a worldy member of the congregation.

Milan.
            a spot of Milton Friedman for your sad-do bedtime reading maybe?!
            He was into all that M3/M5 moneterist s**t.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
              What most people think of as inflation is ~8% (i.e. the growth in money supply M3/M4 (10%) minus GDP growth (2%))
              True enough. But since M0, M2 and M4 all include bank and building society deposits you have effectively reclassified saving as inflation. That doesn't seem quite right somehow. in effect surely there are non inflationary reasons for an increase in broad money?

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot
                a spot of Milton Friedman for your sad-do bedtime reading maybe?!
                He was into all that M3/M5 moneterist s**t.
                He was also proven wrong
                I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

but my point is that the precise measurement of increase in paper money is higher than the % they want inflation to be reported as therefore it cannot possibly be used in the inflationary basket calculation.
                  I know that, and it was bobhope who made that point first. I wish you'd read my posts properly.

Who do you mean by "they"? Presumably you mean the government.

Well, MY point has always been clearly stated - if this figure is more accurate, and it is in the public domain, why don't the opposition press use it? They have no reason not to.

I suspect that this precise calculation does not indicate true inflation after all.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                    You're talking about the fractional reserve banking system and the fiat currency (GBP) - once you understand how it works, you'll know it's the biggest scam going. I see it as part of an education process. A long time ago, I used to think retail banks (Barclays, etc) were decent companies that would look after you and not actively try to scam you. Now I know that to be untrue. It's the same thing with central banks and bankers, only on a bigger scale. Inflation is only 2% hah! What most people think of as inflation is ~8% (i.e. the growth in money supply M3/M4 (10%) minus GDP growth (2%))
                    Yes, I was talking about fractional-reserve banking.

For most people (i.e. those who have to work) the only true measurement of 'cost' is the amount of labour expended. Money is an artificial construct that obscures the amount of effort required to obtain something.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                      It only needs one stimulus. The fact is the property market is not sustainable. I can't wait...
                      Yup, and the Government in their infinite wisdom and foresight are providing just such a stimulus - seller's packs, due to come into effect on a certain date (not sure exactly when). Obviously sellers will be frantic to sell before having to pay £1000 to provide one of these, and after that date sales will plummet.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X