• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Property in Cornwall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

You're looking to buy a place in Cornwall and you've only been there once?

That apart, there's a reason a lot of it is so cheap.
    The remoteness?

That could be less of a problem in coming years if more people work from home.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I lived in Cornwall for ~10 years but the far end. Roughly speaking anything on the coast is nice and I don't remember seeing any poor chavvy villages. However the towns are pretty much all poor so I'd go for a village. Apart from Truro and Penzance maybe.

If you want expensive, try to buy on Scilly!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If you want expensive, try to buy on Scilly!
        This looks reasonable + a plan B to keep the pennies rolling in
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          SERVICES: Private water supply from rain water catchment and share in Duchy of Cornwall borehole.

Sewage is to septic tank & soak-away on adjoining land.

Mains electricity is connected to the property. Cooking is part electric, part bottled propane gas.

ASSESSMENTS: For the purposes of Council Property Tax, the living accommodation is designated in Band ‘E’ in the Valuation List, producing a charge of £1450.46 for the year 2010/2011.

Business Rates for Guest house and premises: Rateable Value: £4,700 Amount payable for current year: £2072.70

VIEWING Strictly by appointment with Island Properties as above or with joint agents Sibley Island Homes telephone 01720 422431

TENURE: We understand the property is held under a lease dated 25.3.03 from the Duchy of Cornwall, for a sixty-year term, with five yearly rent reviews. The passing rent is £8,000 per annum.
          Do your own "DD" but...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

Talk about remote - It isn't even on the main island of the Scillies.

What a great place to survive World War 3 though, or some global plague, assuming the supplies held out.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              However the towns are pretty much all poor so I'd go for a village. Apart from Truro and Penzance maybe.
              Is this place town or village? It's appears to be renovated to a good standard, who would this place appeal to?

4 Bed house for sale, The Old School, Liskeard - Ref: 8547049

Comment

St. Agnes is a lovely spot, after 3-4pm all the tourists leave and there's just a few people left camping or anchored off the sand-bar. The Turk's Head is a nice pub from what I remember, can't recall visiting that guest house but I imagine I have been past it.

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post
                  Is this place town or village? It's appears to be renovated to a good standard, who would this place appeal to?

Sorry I don't know that part of Cornwall, but Liskeard is from memory a small town (all the towns in Cornwall are small).

Comment

Originally posted by insur View Post

It would appeal to me for a start, especially if the back garden is fairly large and private

Comment

I think with Cornwall, it's not the remoteness per se, but the lack of infrastructure that causes the issues. It's nigh on impossible to move in Summer, same as most of Devon.

You can buy cheap in either place, but it will not be in a great place or will be a shed. We're looking in the Dart estuary in Devon and a 3 bed bunglow which is a shed will cost £300k, but a plot of land, with DPP would cost most of that anyway. We looked at a larger house, which needed completely remodelling which was up for £550k.

As for Liskeard: as someone has said, it's just like A.N. Other market town in the West Country. Good parts and bad. However, Liskeard is near some nice places, a mere 30 mins will get you somewhere nice, like Looe. Nice place.
                      Last edited by Old Hack; 18 September 2012, 11:27.

Comment

Working...
                      X