• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toyota GT86 review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    What it got me thinking - is that I should be looking at underpowered motor if I want to have fun and not lose my license.
    You raise a good point. There isn't much point having much more than 150bhp on UK roads. There is rarely space to exploit anything more and with the draconianly enforced speed limits what is the point of having a car that will do 150mph plus.

Much better fun to have a car you can drive to it's limits on UK roads.
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 17 September 2012, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
      You raise a good point. There isn't much point having much more than 150bhp on UK roads. There is rarely space to exploit anything more and with the draconianly enforced speed limits what is the point of having a car that will do 150mph plus.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

megane rs 250

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post

But surely even at legal speeds more umph is useful to get out of potential scrapes, or as an extra safety margin when joining a motorway or pulling onto a roundabout, especially when the car is overloaded (with your family for example).

Also, it's rather frustrating driving up a steep hill, and finding that flooring it has next to no effect!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Having massive acceleration as a safety feature is only going to work for genuinely skilled drivers, i.e. people trained how to handle it, which rules the vast majority of us (whether we think we're good drivers or not) out.

Good acceleration with a 80mph limiter is still useful as you say for sliproads though.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              But surely even at legal speeds more umph is useful to get out of potential scrapes, or as an extra safety margin when joining a motorway or pulling onto a roundabout, especially when the car is overloaded (with your family for example).

Also, it's rather frustrating driving up a steep hill, and finding that flooring it has next to no effect!
              The faster cars get the more you think you need. But 150 bhp is more than enough to accelerate while carrying a family and if it's a Diesel you have oodles of Torque. Don't forget that early hot hatches had little over 100bhp, I know cars are heaver now but still you really can't use that much power on UK roads. Not for very long anyway. Cars were getting too fast and powerful IMHO at least now the focus is moving away from 0-60 to MPG.
              Last edited by ZARDOZ; 17 September 2012, 12:18.

Comment

Go Toyota all the way .. more food for my megane rs.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejohnson View Post
                  Go Toyota all the way .. more food for my megane rs.
                  When it's not in t'garage or broken down at t'side of t'road.
                  French crap.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

As others have said - yes to an extent, but I think most cars over way overpowered. I once did a run in northern france in a Cmax - 140bhp diesel and average 80mph over 2 hours, which included some urban driving. The torque gets you up the hills just fine. that was with a boot full with a fridge freezer, generator, 5 tents, 2 gazebos, 4 folding bikes, 3 bikes on a bike rack, food for 8 blokes for 6 days and probably a lot more. It was up to the roof. Despite my mates having an M3, Focus RS and a Merc SLV8, we all arrived at the port at the same time. I used about half as much fuel. And had nearly as much fun the whole week. Actually more but that's anotther story.

I think more horsepower for most people is just an accident waiting to happen. I've done my IAM and even though I enjoy driving rapidly, it makes you realise why you can't go too fast most of the time. You can spot so much stuff developing before it even happens. E.g a car looking a bit slow - you assign a mental tag - "Lost and about to change lane without indicating". IF he start to change lane, more horsepower won't help, you need brakes. Likewise if someone pulls out of a side road accelerating into them won't reduce the impact velocity. Telegrpah poles - as well as being able to bend what appear to be solid metal boxes, also tell you which way the road is going - most of the time!

I think it's a myth you need horsepower to overtake, you need planning and observation. I can't recommend the IAM course higly enough, for years I had been overtaking by taking a run up. They reverse the process, you start right behind the car in front, at the same speed, sacrificing road position as you come out of a corner so you are ready to overtake. If the road is clear you flash your lights *embarrasing* and then accelerate. If not you back off and and wait. When I was doing my test the examiner commented that I wasn't getting ready to overtake along a particular section of road - to which I explained I'd driven that stretch for 3 years whilst studying - and there were only 2 places to overtake.
                    Last edited by IR35FanClub; 17 September 2012, 13:06.
                    Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      It's a driver's car not a poser's.
                      Yes, I am sure all those years spent sitting in traffic jams around Wandsworth in your Prius qualify you as a right Ayrton fooking Senna.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X