• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Muhammad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    You really think publicly stated beliefs are some guarantee of something?

The old saw about learning from history comes to mind. Have a look at some of Hitler's reasonable and conciliatory speeches in the early days before he was confident of Germany military ability. People imagine appeasement was just about one meeting with Chamberlain but British appeasement had been going on for years regarding German rearmement. The French thought we were crazy for trusting him and they were right.
    I have travelled that region and know a fair amount about what the people are like there. You are talking about a hierarchical religious system which is a lot more sophisticated and includes peer-review. A "spiritual leader" can not go out and say such a statement without backing it up with clear religious evidence.

Don't talk about that which you have no knowledge of.

Iran are one of the most sophisticated countries in the region - I have been there once in the past and it is totally not what you would expect. They are advanced in terms of education system, scientifically, culturally. They are a progressive nation, The media is not doing justice to what is a really amazing country.

Just think how the we see the US and how some in the "East" would see it and you could start to understand the gulf in how the media wants to view Iran and what it is actually like there.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      I have travelled that region and know a fair amount about what the people are like there. You are talking about a hierarchical religious system which is a lot more sophisticated and includes peer-review. A "spiritual leader" can not go out and say such a statement without backing it up with clear religious evidence.

Iran are one of the most sophisticated countries in the region - I have been there once in the past and it is totally not what you would expect. They are advanced in terms of education system, scientifically, culturally. They are a progressive nation, The media is not doing justice to what is a really amazing country.

Just think how the we see the US and how some in the "East" would see it and you could start to understand the gulf in how the media wants to view Iran and what it is actually like there.
      Crock of tulip. I spend quite a bit of time in the region, and the country itself.

There's some things you are not aware of, that some people are, regarding Iran.

Trust me, you are being the one bringing stuff into an argument of which you know nothing about.

Comment

You are talking about a hierarchical religious system which is a lot more sophisticated and includes peer-review. A "spiritual leader" can not go out and say such a statement without backing it up with clear religious evidence
        If nukes are forbidden by Islam, why does Pakistan have them? Different branch, it's true, but it illustrates that Islam is not united on that point and I'm quite sure that the Qu'ran does not have a passage specifically forbidding nukes. It's all about interpretations that some Islamic "Scholar" could vary if required. So (even if they are being honest) what's to prevent some future "peer review" coming to a different conclusion?

If a nation has the technology to develop nukes there is a chance it may use them. If a nation is belligerent enough to talk about wiping out another nation that chance is that much higher. If is guided by an irrational creed that puts religious objectives above practical considerations for the citizens of this world the chance is higher still.

Are peoples who believe in suicide bombing really going to rationally consider consequences of a nuclear strike in the way that the USSR would have?
        Last edited by xoggoth; 18 September 2012, 16:00.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

I have been to Greece on holiday at least 15 times so I know all about them and their culture
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            I don't think Muslim fundamentalists are really ofay with cause and effect, otherwise not as many would agree to take the fast train to nirvana as currently do.

I rule nothing out. I genuinely don't.
            Oh dear

Au fait!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post

Au fait!
              Bless you.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Oh dear

Au fait!
                Ofay

Whoops.

Comment

I am ofay thirsty, I think I will have a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Nope. Don't agree with that. I'll insult who I want, it's called free speech.
                    Go insult your mum and call it free speech. Would you?

Comment

Originally posted by EC4N View Post
                      Go insult your mum and call it free speech. Would you?
                      I would yours.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X