• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official CUK " it's getting chilly" first one to turn on the CH is a Wuss thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Autumn is here and I'm hoping for a Smasher. In my youth when I was single I always took my holidays* in the 1st 2 weeks of September as it was almost always lovely around this time (and horrible on the previous August BH).
    I used to still like a holiday in September / October myself. Prices are lower* and if you are staying in a country pub or hotel the other guests tend to be respectable folks.

The autumn colours can be stunning in the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, Scotland, and in the absence of rain, it's good walking weather too.

P.S. I did think about the heating briefly when I got home today but reached for a light pullover instead.

* You can take a Yorkshireman out of Yorkshire, but you cannot take the Yorkshire out of a Yorkshireman. :
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      There's no point, gf Chef being a true German leaves the window open wide throughout the winter nights for "some fresh air" and so begins the ever repeating game of "chef sees an open window in the house and closes it, gf chef later in the day sees the closed window and reopens it".
      I am tempted to offer a swap

Yes, I am a fresh air fiend, and get frustrated by the Swiss habit of closing windows whenever possible. It's as if their grandmothers drilled it into them from birth that a slight breeze will give you pneumonia.

And yes, there was nearly a punch up about this in the office many years ago on a hot sweltering day. We all had a meaty workstation and a PC on our desks and one guy was convinced that open windows let more heat in than they let out.

Right now the windows are open most times unless a big gale blows through the house and slams them shut. It's not too cold around here just yet.
      I had that one a few years ago. A normal shopping trip in sunshine and shirt sleeves turned into a deluge inside 15 minutes. I had left my windows open and when I got home soaked to the skin all the windows were banging and the temperature had sunk to cold, and stayed that way for at about a week. I ended up hitting bed early that day to keep warm, and discovered that the disadvantage of underfloor heating is that it takes a couple of days to kick in.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Our heating system comes on when it's needed. The house is always at a comfortable temperature.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Our heating system comes on when it's needed. The house is always at a comfortable temperature.
          Ah the old "is it better to heat a house from cold when required or maintain a constant temp all day & night" conundrum.

What kind of Q4 heating bills do you have?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

There's no point, gf Chef being a true German leaves the window open wide throughout the winter nights for "some fresh air"
            That's how I was bought up too - there was no CH in the bedrooms and the idea was you had warm beds but a cold environment- it did mean that in the Winter we regularly had ice on the inside of the windows!

Still believe it's the best way to sleep ( but wifey has alternative view)
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The year before (the hyperD year of austerity), I left the heating off until it dropped to 7°C leaving me most evenings in the office huddling up next to a warm server. Getting into bed was, quite frankly, a traumatic experience, shivering uncontrollably like I was going through cold turkey.

I also got fairly acclimatised with the cold so that I only wore a t-shirt and shorts whenever the temp outside was above that as I cycled to work and back. It was agony for 15 mins until I warmed up.

Not sure I'm going to do it this year. Might make the cut-off 10°C this time.

Was a shock to the system cycling back the other day in 13°C temps around 16:00 though - bye bye "summer"...
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
              X