• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Costa: Bloody sick of the sight of them.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Too full of Hugos and quality is hugely variable. Nero is better, has free wifi usually as well.
    Nero/Costa/Stabucks/whatever are all as bad as the other, over roasted bitter coffee and nine out of ten times when you ask for a cappucino you get what is essentially a latte.

I've noticed since coming back to the smoke that there are a few one off coffee places which do a decent cup.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Nero/Costa/Stabucks/whatever are all as bad as the other, over roasted bitter coffee and nine out of ten times when you ask for a cappucino you get what is essentially a latte.

I've noticed since coming back to the smoke that there are a few one off coffee places which do a decent cup.
      My local Nero is pretty good and in general I find them OK. The AMT one at the station is good as well. Some one off coffee places are great but I've been in some where they are awful, a lot of those seem to be the ones that are putting up costa signs now.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
        ****osta linky No to Costa in Totnes
        Whitbread. I seem to remember them doing similar stuff in the 80s.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Or in my case you ask for a latte and get half a litre of froth.

Costa lotta money is what I call them. Never could understand why anyone would pay someone else £2.50+ for a cup of hot water with 1/20 of a bag of coffee beans. In my book that's a retail price of about £1.00.

Gone back to using a cafitierre at work. £3 bag of coffee makes 20 cups. Keep the coffe in the freezer and it's plain and simple black no milk if the coffee is done propely (not bitter or tasteless). Hot not boiling water. Result = fatter walllet and thinner belly (or in my case more money left for cakes).

At home I've got a Nespresso - which is the probably the best you can get without buying a proper espresso machine. Problem with proper machines is the coffee goes off after a few days and they are too big. The nespresso I've got has a footprint of about 10x30cm and the cpasules are individually foil sealed. I got one - as one of the contractors on a previous gig had ignored PAT testing and bought his own machine to work. Not cheap - about 30p a shot but better than any muck they sell at a store. With about 20 strengths there's something for everyone. My personal fave are purple - to get me eyes open, and blue for a top up later on. There's also a pink Rosabaya de Columbia - very tasty. Tip - if as a result of this you go out to buy one - join the club and get their multi pack which is a one time member offer - you get something like 150 capsules in all the flavours at 1/2 price. their customer service is great too - I had a fault (caused by me) and they send out a courier with a crate that matches the shape of your machine, and lend you a new one while your is in for repair. I bet they make more money selling coffee than machines and want you to keep drinking, LOL.

If you order one quote "IamNotARepHonest" and you'll get 100% discount.
          Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
            Or in my case you ask for a latte and get half a litre of froth.

Costa lotta money is what I call them. Never could understand why anyone would pay someone else £2.50+ for a cup of hot water with 1/20 of a bag of coffee beans. In my book that's a retail price of about £1.00.

Gone back to using a cafitierre at work. £3 bag of coffee makes 20 cups. Keep the coffe in the freezer and it's plain and simple black no milk if the coffee is done propely (not bitter or tasteless). Hot not boiling water. Result = fatter walllet and thinner belly (or in my case more money left for cakes).

At home I've got a Nespresso - which is the probably the best you can get without buying a proper espresso machine. Problem with proper machines is the coffee goes off after a few days and they are too big. The nespresso I've got has a footprint of about 10x30cm and the cpasules are individually foil sealed. I got one - as one of the contractors on a previous gig had ignored PAT testing and bought his own machine to work. Not cheap - about 30p a shot but better than any muck they sell at a store. With about 20 strengths there's something for everyone. My personal fave are purple - to get me eyes open, and blue for a top up later on. There's also a pink Rosabaya de Columbia - very tasty. Tip - if as a result of this you go out to buy one - join the club and get their multi pack which is a one time member offer - you get something like 150 capsules in all the flavours at 1/2 price. their customer service is great too - I had a fault (caused by me) and they send out a courier with a crate that matches the shape of your machine, and lend you a new one while your is in for repair. I bet they make more money selling coffee than machines and want you to keep drinking, LOL.

If you order one quote "IamNotARepHonest" and you'll get 100% discount.
            Agreed, I use Nespresso as well. They are very popular in Italy, so if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me! I used to do the whole grind thing etc but had to set the alarm off 3 days early to make a breakfast coffee.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I always figured Nespresso was a gimmicky way to make slightly better instant coffee. Now I'm interested, I make a pot of coffee at home but it goes funky after an hour or two and it's a hassle.

What's actually in the capsules - some ultra-concentrated espresso 'marmite'?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I always figured Nespresso was a gimmicky way to make slightly better instant coffee. Now I'm interested, I make a pot of coffee at home but it goes funky after an hour or two and it's a hassle.

What's actually in the capsules - some ultra-concentrated espresso 'marmite'?
                Just ground coffee, find one of the stores and pop along, they will let you try some for yourself.

As a prev poster says, they are very compact machines and easy to care for. Just remember to purge before and after use.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I have one of these at home and I love it. The coffee tastes great.

JURA's coffee machines: ENA 9 :: JURA United Kingdom

I used to have a Nespresso but donated it to the wifes school. I wasn't impressed. The drinks were too small and not very hot.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    Just remember to purge before and after use.
                    I only want a cup of coffee!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      The drinks were too small and not very hot.
                      Warm the cup first, sorry can't do much about small - that's espresso for ya. But if you want ameircano - add hot water, and if you want latte - warm a cup of milk in the microwave first (sod the froth), then have the nespresso pour straight in. When I'm not in diet mode that's my favourite method.

they do sell machines with the frother on the side - but a mate had one of those and said it's a pig to clean - plus they have a bigger foot print.

You'd hate the ristrettos then... they're about half size of espressos. But they do the larger measures - or as I call them yellow green and blue. These make about 110ml per capsule iirc - though I always stick a large and small squirt through them. Just leave about 30 secs in between so you don't over cook the grind.

Me being a cheapskate wondering if it was possible to try and reuse the capsules with a bag of ground coffee. Several messy attempts later I gave up - remembering the reason I Like it in the first place is freshness.
                      Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

Working...
                      X