• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems prove once again they are not fit to govern

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Oh dear ******* god. I give up. Yes you are right. If my business makes a profit, but not enough to keep me interested, then it's unprofitable. That's what unprofitable means and all the dictionarys in all the world are wrong. Do you want to write the letter to the OED or shall I?
    And did you read the last paragraph of my post?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
      Not really evidence is it? Plenty of things could have happened if they hadn't been bailed out. They could have been bought by GE or PW, or maybe even Lockheed or another investor and the assets reused.

Of they could have just died as the original RB211 wasn't particularly great anyway..
      Point is government money saved a British industry that now has 40% of the market and earns foreign exchange that helps the country pay its way.

The GE90 is better than the Trent so it wouldn't have necessarily mattered in the end.
      They're competitive. Trent was selected for the latest models by both Boeing and Airbus.

You really are a complete idiot when it comes to economics. Stick to your itinerant IT jobbing.
      Actually you're a complete idiot, full stop
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        I am not quite sure what your point is.
        Story of your life. You must have got used to the whooshing sound by now.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Point is government money saved a British industry that now has 40% of the market and earns foreign exchange that helps the country pay its way.

They're competitive. Trent was selected for the latest models by both Boeing and Airbus.

You really are a complete idiot when it comes to economics. Stick to your itinerant IT jobbing.
          I see you have tactictly moved the debate to imply that Rolls Royce is a state enterprise. That the original point that I made was that self interest through companies drives social consideration. That companies are far better guardians and sponsors of local institutions than government. This is because the nature of their support is always positive - promoting positive values in sport the arts and education.

You dont like it because it does'nt pander to the left wing entitlement mentality so you then try to argue that it - Rolls Royce - is actually a public sector institution.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Exactly, profits are increased, that means the thing that was cut was hindering total profits and thus, was unprofitable. If the thing that was cut was profitable, then profits would decrease when it was cut.

It's pretty basic maths.
            Rather than it being unprofitable, is the branch not just incurring greater opportunity cost for the entity as a whole and through Keynesian principles those resources are better invested elsewhere? So whilst not strictly "unprofitable" as a lone entity, it adds to the overall opportunity cost?

Comment

I see you have tactictly moved the debate to imply that Rolls Royce is a state enterprise. That the original point that I made was that self interest through companies drives social consideration. That companies are far better guardians and sponsors of local institutions than government. This is because the nature of their support is always positive - promoting positive values in sport the arts and education.

You dont like it because it does'nt pander to the left wing entitlement mentality so you then try to argue that it - Rolls Royce - is actually a public sector institution.
              Good grief its dumber and dumber
              Where did I say Rolls is a state enterprise?
              My point is that free markets don't necessarily provide the best outcome.
              The Rolls Royce jet engine business would most likely not exist if not for government intervention.
              Its also worth considering that many life changing inventions and enterprises: penicillin, the internet, Space exploration, the atomic bomb, to name a few, were created under the aegis of the public sector.

It seems you and Robbie are in hot competition for Village Idiot of the Day.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

At what cost though? They had to tax a bunch of other businesses to bail out RR. And they had no idea that it would have turned out well or not. Yes the Trent is a great engine but it could have just as easily turned out pony and the government has no place deciding these things, because they have no clue about plane engines. In addition, the skilled workers could have been snapped up by GE or PW or another company and recycled into the economy.

Comment

The GE90 is better than the Trent so it wouldn't have necessarily mattered in the end.
                  Please qualify 'better' and which engine in particular. I'm sat in an office right now signing off Trent software and I'm quite interested as to how you would know this.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

You are wasted in a job that requires nothing but hot air , where you get paid 10%+ for other peoples graft. Get yourself into Tory politics... oh .... damn....

You spin faster than any washing machine I've ever used.

In other news, GREAT thread !

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                      Please qualify 'better' and which engine in particular. I'm sat in an office right now signing off Trent software and I'm quite interested as to how you would know this.
                      TSFC mainly. Certainly on the 777 it is better overall. The Trent is good on the A330 in fairness. Doesn't seem to be doing well on the 787 though. And was lucky to get a monopoly on the A350.

Given that latter fact it is actually in a curiously strong position.

Comment

Working...
                      X