• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Architects

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    To me it is just a word used to show another level of seniority. In development, the career path tends to be..

Junior Dev -->Dev-->Senior Dev --> Architect for permies

I personally dont see any need to differentiate between a semio dev and an architect as an architect should still be in the trenches or they lose touch.
    Small scale architecture is design. Most design is not architecture (ie. if it can be easily backed out , IMHO).

To me, it's about the extent of the designers influence as to whether they cross the line into architecture, or are just designers.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Seems to be the new buzz word in IT job titles, at first everyone was a manager now it seems everyone is an Architect, be it Solutions, System, Technical, Enterprise but as far as I can tell no one does anything any different to another!

Can someone break it down for a simpleton like me as it seems they all ask me questions that their role states they should be able to answer themselves!
      Architect is in some sense a technical term rather than managers who are in charge of people.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
        Stuff
        At least that's how it works from my SA point of view.
        You missed building Architect, as in construction, most of those chaps have an ego that would fit in just right around here

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        An architect makes design decisions that cannot be reversed.
        I don’t have issues with “stuck up, pretentious, illogical, egotistical, clueless, stylistically challenged f*****s” architects at all, honest
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          You missed building Architect, as in construction, most of those chaps have an ego that would fit in just right around here

I don’t have issues with “stuck up, pretentious, illogical, egotistical, clueless, stylistically challenged f*****s” architects at all, honest
          You sure you're not describing Enterprise Architects?
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

You sure you're not describing Enterprise Architects?
            Not had the pleasure to meet one of them, what is one?
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Is 'architect' what you become if you're too thick to be a developer and too feckless to be a tester?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Is 'architect' what you become if you're too thick to be a developer and too feckless to be a tester?
                Very few architects could be a good tester - too easily bored. I do write fantastic test plans and scripts though. Most of which confuse the hell out of testers, not so much test managers.

Team leader is what a thick developer becomes then hopefully they just fk off.
                Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

A software/data Architect designs at a higher level usually on larger systems, it is a real role and pays tulip loads.

Comment

Team leader is what a thick developer becomes then hopefully they just fk off.
                    Yeah, there's one of these at the clientco: a failed developer that's getting on a bit so via the "dead man's shoes" principle has been promoted to run the team.

As is often with this dichotomy of talents, he has no personal, empathy or leadership skills whatsoever. He makes the Rain Man look like Clarence Birdseye.

And he has absolutely no current developer skills whatsoever.

Technically, he's ****ed when they eventually boot him out for being such an incompetent arsewipe.

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                      As is often with this dichotomy of talents, he has no personal, empathy or leadership skills whatsoever. He makes the Rain Man look like Clarence Birdseye.

And he has absolutely no current developer skills whatsoever.

Technically, he's ****ed when they eventually boot him out for being such an incompetent arsewipe.

If he arse licks enough won't he get promoted to proper management?
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X