• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

if you had opportunity to start again what mistakes would you avoid ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calacik View Post
    I aint that strange , im your next door neighbour!! why dont u come over now and knock on the door? waiting for u ...
    you lie like a turd in a bucket.

I have already sh@gged all my neighbours.

once my willy gets better, I intend to sh@g all their wives as well

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1522244
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1599847
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...tml#post248741
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...tml#post210253
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1206463
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1330366

What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

to be honest, most mistakes are not systemic

so you cant avoid them by changing you approach or your philosophy. most mistakes are one offs, and they are offset by your brilliant successes.

so as long as you get your basic approach right, you dont need to worry too much about mistakes.

now, if your question was 'whats the best way to approach this malarky '

that would require an essay of gentillean proportions

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I would invest half the money I spent on booze, drugs and hookers for the first ten years. By 2008, with the booming stock market and what not, that would have been worth about 7 million quid.

It's a ******* miracle I can still use a keyboard TBH.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I have already sh@gged all my neighbours.

once my willy gets better, I intend to sh@g all their wives as well

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I would invest half the money I spent on booze, drugs and hookers for the first ten years. By 2008, with the booming stock market and what not, that would have been worth about 7 million quid.

It's a ******* miracle I can still use a keyboard TBH.
            Chronic masturbation can cause crippling arthritis in one so young. It's a true miracle.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Chronic masturbation can cause crippling arthritis in one so young. It's a true miracle.
              Have you crashed again?

AtW, stop chasing squirrels and reboot the MFBOT!
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

if times goes back by 5,10 or 15 years and you get another chance to start your contracting life, what is it that you would avoid or do diffrently ?
                I would have learned a new cutting-edge I.T. language.

Probably Injun.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Having somehow missed the chance to make money during the dot com boom, property boom, commodities boom etc etc I can see plenty of things I would change if I could go back 15 years. Including getting married

In terms of Contracting I don't think I would have changed much. I would like to have avoided losing > £150k on poor stock market investments (gambles) though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Having somehow missed the chance to make money during the dot com boom, property boom, commodities boom etc etc I can see plenty of things I would change if I could go back 15 years. Including getting married

In terms of Contracting I don't think I would have changed much. I would like to have avoided losing > £150k on poor stock market investments (gambles) though.
                    Your story is so sad it actually cheered me up. Thanks!
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

if you had opportunity to start again what mistakes would you avoid ?
                      None of them, though I might make some of them sooner.

People that don't make mistakes usually don't make anything. Trying things and gaining experience through the odd failure isn't necessarily a bad thing. Unless you're making the same stupid mistakes over and over again, or find yourself committing major gaffs that have massive individual catastrophic consequences, making the occasional mistake just means you're trying and you're learning. Once you've got to where you're going, looking back in regret is a bit like standing on top of a mountain, and spending the time thinking about how hard it was to climb instead of just enjoying the view.

That said, I suspect you're only asking so that you can learn from other people's mistakes and avoid making the same ones yourself. Bottom line, life doesn't work like that. The challenges other people have faced in the past 15 years are probably going to bear little or no relation to the ones you'll face in the next 15 years. Just get out there, take your own calculated risks, and enjoy your own rewards. FWIW, that's the best advice I can give you.

Comment

Working...
                      X