• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for a stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    You are such a plonker. Anyone who becomes a millionaire in a month from trading is over-leveraging.
    You're missing my point - if your methods of analysis give you any significant gain over, say, a chimpanzee making random choices, then it's a sure-fire way of making money.
    In fact you don't need to do anything, write a software program that follows your chartist algorithms and reinvest the money to compound that gain you have over other people, or the chimp.
    E.g if your chartist algorithm(s) makes a return of 10% over the long run (say a year) because of your better choices then borrow a million from somehere and use the 10% to make loads of cash over 5 years.
    After all your system is better than random which over the long run gives you a return of 0%.

So what's your average return on investment in a year?

Edited: changed the putative return from 5% to 10% since I guess for all this to be worthwhile it ought to give you a better return than other forms of investment.
    Last edited by sasguru; 23 August 2012, 14:04.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
      Surely, all you need is a method that works the majority of the time to get rich in the long run and not a guarantee such as you describe. That way, with discipline and tenacity you can do very well whilst minimising your risks for when the "method" fails due to unforeseen factors.
      There is such a method: I use it. I pick a diversified set of stocks for companies that i think will come good/remain good in 10-20 years.
      Chartist methods however are more about predicting short term movements based on past data and if stock prices follow a random walk, there is no basis for that belief.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

You don't even need to be right the majority of the time. If your "edge" gave you on average 1:1.5 risk/reward, you could win even with less than 50% win rate.
        That is true. That is related to my previous post. Your "edge" is what I call my ROI, profit, whatever.
        What is your edge in a typical year?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          That is true. That is related to my previous post. Your "edge" is what I call my ROI, profit, whatever.
          What is your edge in a typical year?
          In short, none of your business.

I'll go and start another thread, this one has obviously been hijacked for Sasguru's ego trip.
          Last edited by SantaClaus; 23 August 2012, 14:23.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

In short, none of your business.
            Well it could be the basis of your business - you've got this sure fire way to make money that no one has (presumably greater than the 6.5% rental yield you can make nowadays) - so why not ask people for money to invest in your system and take a cut of the profits? That way you get rich quicker and everyone's a winner. Heck, even I might invest my pittance. You'd have to publish accounts for the last 2 years though.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'll go and start another thread, this one has obviously been hijacked for Sasguru's ego trip.
              I've asked you a series of questions that are directly related to the content of this thread. Where's the ego trip?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've asked you a series of questions that are directly related to the content of this thread. Where's the ego trip?
                Therein lies your problem. You can't even see it in yourself.

I only posted charts and my thoughts on the market. Take it or leave it.
                If I wanted to start a fund, I certainly wouldn't tout for business on here.
                Last edited by SantaClaus; 23 August 2012, 14:32.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

and your posts show a beacon of spirituality?
                  Relative to yours - yes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Relative to yours - yes.
                    An example please?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Therein lies your problem. You can't even see it in yourself.

I only posted charts and my thoughts on the market. Take it or leave it.
                      If I wanted to start a fund, I certainly wouldn't tout for business on here.
                      Fair enough, it's your money (or lack thereof).
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X