• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bike Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm tempted by one of these:

Ribble Special Edition Bikes | Frames | Wheels | Groupsets

CTC Forum • View topic - Ribble Winter/Audax Bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/a...er-1000-29719/
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 9 August 2012, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
      An accountant told me of a director who'd put a new bike through the company books as part of the cycle to work scheme. Maybe I need a new bike too. Anyone else expensing their bike?

I got the impression there was no BIK but I could've been mistaken.
      there is a scheme whereby you buy a bike through your employer and they can somehow reclaim the tax or something.

Tax free bikes for work through the Government's Green Transport Initiative - Cyclescheme, provider of Cycle to Work schemes for UK employers - Cyclescheme
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I would seriously consider eBay.

I bought a 3 year old Rockhopper (c£1500 new) for £400. A quick service down the LBS and jobs a goodun.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

WHS
          And , there are heavy discounts around the corner, on the last years Bike as the new models come in. IIRC this used to be around September/October

I always found Hargroves Cycles (Hants) to have good deals.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            there is a scheme whereby you buy a bike through your employer and they can somehow reclaim the tax or something.

Tax free bikes for work through the Government's Green Transport Initiative - Cyclescheme, provider of Cycle to Work schemes for UK employers - Cyclescheme
            This from NW:

Your company can provide a bike to you on the following conditions:

The bike and related equipment must be owned by the company

The bike is used primarily for qualifying journeys

Ownership of the equipment is not transferred to the employee during the loan period

The offer of the use of a loaned or provided cycle is available across the whole workforce (i.e. just myself)

The bike must be purchased by the company directly. If it is not in the first instance then you must sell the bike to your company.

They also say there's no need to use the cycle to work scheme - just buy the bike. I was looking into the cycle to work scheme & by all accounts it takes 2 - 4 weeks to enrol & at the end of it you get a voucher generally up to a maximum of £1000. Bloke in the bike shop said he couldn't do any discounts when buying with a voucher so this is probably not the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
              This from NW:

Your company can provide a bike to you on the following conditions:

The bike and related equipment must be owned by the company

The bike is used primarily for qualifying journeys

Ownership of the equipment is not transferred to the employee during the loan period

The offer of the use of a loaned or provided cycle is available across the whole workforce (i.e. just myself)

The bike must be purchased by the company directly. If it is not in the first instance then you must sell the bike to your company.

They also say there's no need to use the cycle to work scheme - just buy the bike. I was looking into the cycle to work scheme & by all accounts it takes 2 - 4 weeks to enrol & at the end of it you get a voucher generally up to a maximum of £1000. Bloke in the bike shop said he couldn't do any discounts when buying with a voucher so this is probably not the way to go.
              My road bike is a company bike - it's just an asset like anything else and depreciates in the same way. I also expense any cycling safety equipment such as helemts, jackets, shoes etc. Then any new parts and servicing goes through the books too.

This for me adds up to a few hundred each year so is the way to go.

Unlike standard cycle-2-work schemes where there is a loan agreement in place, this is purely a company asset and as such there's no restriction on the value. Hence my company bike costs >£2K which is perfectly fine.

(The reason most companies put a £1K limit on the c2w scheme is that above this level they *may* need a license to lend to employees, so they don't bother - there's no government imposed limit).
              Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

I'm on the 20p/mile jobbie - works out at around £110/month - although I bought the bike privately. Not put the services and clothing etc through the business though.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                  I'm on the 20p/mile jobbie - works out at around £110/month - although I bought the bike privately. Not put the services and clothing etc through the business though.

Why would you not *cough* claim 45p mileage for your *cough* car journey rather than 20ppm for cycling? Then still but the bike through the company and cycle to work?
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                    Why would you not *cough* claim 45p mileage for your *cough* car journey rather than 20ppm for cycling? Then still but the bike through the company and cycle to work?
                    It would appear that I left my PC unattended in a public space and the above potentially fraudulent advice was posted - I could never condone this behaviour and it is not something I'd personally undertake.
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

I have a cannondale caad 9 with shimano 105 group and I'm very happy with it, but it really depends on you; how much do you weigh, how much and how hard you ride etc.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X