• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suity boomed CUK style

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Away with ya (as my Scottish mate used to say all the time). No I just signed another extension till the end of the year.
    No, your Scottish mate would say "Away wi ye". Congratuations on the XN*, though.

* I think I'll start doing that 'X' thing with everything to make it sound more technical.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Eek looks at last post outside general then notices total lack of alcohol in room. Heads to bed as cannot contemplate trying to catch up.

Night all
      nighty night
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
        No, your Scottish mate would say "Away wi ye". Congratuations on the XN*, though.
        Thank you canny lass. (I always thought that was Scottish) its Northern lol

I just realised the furthest north I've ever been is York
        Last edited by escapeUK; 8 August 2012, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post

* I think I'll start doing that 'X' thing with everything to make it sound more technical.
          Suity's guide to heathen speak

I say, this really is not on! = away tae ****
          Could anyone recommend where I could get a good meal round these parts? = chuppie's doon there mate
          Terrible all this rangers lark = headbutt

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Scottish Phrases and Common Sentences

I like this one:-

I feel sick. A feel no weel.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Suity's guide to heathen speak

I say, this really is not on! = away tae ****
              Could anyone recommend where I could get a good meal round these parts? = chuppie's doon there mate
              Terrible all this rangers lark = headbutt

Very accurate. On the Rangers thing, it's a touchy subject for half of Glasgow, and a reason for celebration for the other half. Some taxi driver was on the radio the other day relating a story of two American tourists that thought it would be a great lark to buy full Rangers kits in honour of their favourite hockey team, and wear them into town. When they got into his taxi in full kit and asked how much it was to Argyll Street, the taxi driver said "Wid it no be quicker jist tae take ye straight the Western Infirmary?".

Comment

Does anyone else think its funny that Suitys will waving I am the big I am thread was so quickly taken off topic and way from him being the center of attention

Well done mate, we might just make a contractor out of you after all!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Does anyone else think its funny that Suitys will waving I am the big I am thread was so quickly taken off topic and way from him being the center of attention

Well done mate, we might just make a contractor out of you after all!
                  Well not really. If you want to come it I'll just pump you full of coffee, let you bounce off the walls for a bit then let you sit on eo's knee while genitals reels of Scottish colloquiasms. Then again this sounds like your ideal Friday night.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    OK this actually happened. Today. I did this. Yes me. Suity.

The SAP implementation programme I am currently delivering a project for has hit a snag. That snag is data migration. Too little credence, too late despite the warnings. So it's iceberg time.

I was summoned to the SAP team meeting to explain how we weren't going to deliver the migration on time. Dreading it if truth be told, and I wanted to hand the towel in weeks ago, but chose to stay and fight.

So the meeting started, and suity is on the ropes. Accusations, blame, getting nasty. I am in there with my PM, who is doing his best to defend the situation. They're not listening. Their programme is going off piste anyways and we are the perfect scapegoat, even if we delivered the migration on time they would still fail to hit deadline but this is hushed up, super political.

Was I cacking it? No. Was I rising to the bait? No. Did I hear them all out calmly before returning salvo? Too right I fecking did.

20 minutes of laying it on the line, calmly but firmly. Explaining that some of the requirements were unachievable, too esoteric and not needed. Advising on business contingency, workarounds, likely scenarios the whole ball of wax.

The return salvo was from the head of IT, who kept on saying "I just don't see why it's this difficult?". The sucker punch from suity was then delivered, apparently I raised my voice several decibels and thrust a finger in his face saying "don't get complacent!" and he backed right down.

Got an extension to 1st November, and the team I asked for!!! The Bob's don't get this one, I do, and I managed to get another contractor an extension into the bargain as I demanded I needed him!!

Is this not the stuff of CUK? Am I not a hero? Is this not the day that MF, Spod et al rub their eyes in disbelief, and then begrudglingly cough, 'err, well done I spose, welcome to the real contractors league'??

Data Migration is nothing to get excited about. That *is* usually done by Bobs from what I see.
                    How is it hard? Understand the data model on the left, understand the one on the right (you probably have guidance from an SME for this anyway), extract, transform and load. Just make sure you have several dry runs of the migration leading up to production migration. And sort out your reconciliation process. It's not rocket science is it.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      Data Migration is nothing to get excited about. That *is* usually done by Bobs from what I see.
                      How is it hard? Understand the data model on the left, understand the one on the right (you probably have guidance from an SME for this anyway), extract, transform and load. Just make sure you have several dry runs of the migration leading up to production migration. And sort out your reconciliation process. It's not rocket science is it.
                      Its not rocket science but it requires attention to detail and documented data schemas on both sides of the system. Granted Bob may be able to do it but unless its all documented its a world of pain mainly because people don't realise how complex it may be and the consequences of what happens if it goes wrong.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X